Anti-rollbar - strange sensation

SimonP

Reaction score
I've just had the front anti roll bar and bushes changed on my S3 under warranty. It was squeaking, the common problem with the paint wearing under the bushes.

I can't put my finger on it, but the car feels very strange now, almost bouncy and seems to wander and be more twitchy - is it my imagination playing tricks on me?

Does the alignment have to be changed after fitting one?

How can I make sure they've put the right one back on, ie. not got an A3 standard one instead?

Could be that it's just my mind going, an age thing :)

Considering how its attached you wouldnt think they would have to re-do the alignment but i suppose it depends how they fitted it.

If the adjusted the wishbones or anythign then i suppose alignemnt is in order. However, I'd wait till someone with actual knowledge on the matter posts!

They MUST have realligned the wheels, this is a huge subframe off job, and will really rodger the handling of your car if done wrong! I had the subframe off a few weeks ago for the steering rack to be replaced and now my car will go much faster and feel much more solid going around fast corners.

[ QUOTE ]
They MUST have realligned the wheels, this is a huge subframe off job, and will really rodger the handling of your car if done wrong! I had the subframe off a few weeks ago for the steering rack to be replaced and now my car will go much faster and feel much more solid going around fast corners.

[/ QUOTE ]

They only had it for an afternoon, so I don't think it went in for a huge job? Maybe they only changed the bushes, anyway trying to get that information out of them at the moment....

I think they'd be very clever doing the bushes without dropping the subframe although I'm not 100% on that, it only took the garage 3 hours to replace my steering rack, but it's a big job to go and it means moving about pretty much everything at the bottom of the suspension etc.

should have had a R32 one fitted if they were swapping it. ive got mine to do in the next few weeks think it can be done by just lowering the subframe slightly. So im hoping if I mark everything up well I wont need realignment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This one was covered under warranty.

Anyone know what the difference between the anti roll bar on the standard 8L A3 and S3 is?

[ QUOTE ]
This one was covered under warranty.

Anyone know what the difference between the anti roll bar on the standard 8L A3 and S3 is?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's thinner, but they shouldn't make that mistake - not even Audi Surely!

S3 have 19mm front and 15mm rear out of the factory...refer to ess_three post from ages back on ARBs...A3s have 19mm front and 14mm rear...certainly my 1.8TQ does. It seems that it is possible to swap just the bushes without dropping the subframe...cetainly there has been posts on this recently on the tt-forum.co.uk.....however to actually swap front ARB means subframe has to be moved ...and if you listen to the experienced likes of David R this equals definite need for proper 4 wheel alignment to be done and i would agree with this. If you have to go down this road, take the opportunity and do the neuspeed ARB mod...big handling gains are to be had.

I'm pretty sure you can change the bushes without dropping the subframe...it'll be awkward...but possible.

You have to drop the subframe to change the ARB.

So, I guess it's possible they didn't need to do an alignmemt.

I changed the ARB Bushes without dropping the subframe without any problem..

I did it on my driveway...