Custom A3 Lights onto my S3

mark_S3

Team Silver
Reaction score
Good Evening Folks...

Well a few months ago back I picked up a cheap pair of A3 facelift headlights to go onto the S3.

Plans where just to refurb the outer lens back to a clear vision...

This is a 50/50 view after i got my DA Polisher on one of them...

Then I noticed the insides where dirty and the chrome pitted, so being OCD I decided to strip off the lens and refurb the insides...

I when with Matte Black Trim with Gunmetal Grey outer front trim to match my Alloys

Then he's a sneaky blurred picture to show others whilst I finished the other and await HID's and new self levelling clips...

Then my HID kit turned up with clips.... Now it was time to strip the bumper, off with the prefacelift lights and time to hack away at the wings...

Decided to give everything a little clean...

With the wings cut, it was time to put in the new headlights...

Much brighter than the standard Xenon's. I went for the Ultra 6000k kit. Also went in was LED sidelights, Silvervision Indicator bulbs and new Lucas H7 main beam bulbs...

And the finished results...... Custom made headlights with the addition of a S3 logo....

Not 100% happy with the finish to the outer lens, but by far better than the dated prefacelifts.

I'm always willing to try something new and different, and hope you all approve :)

Reactions: JUS3IN, Sandra, Jay A3 and 2 others
Cheers Shaun....

By far a big improvement on the front. Look better in rear life.

A meaner stance to the front now... ;-)

look really good them :)

how easy was the strip down? as thats what im planning on doing with my lights :)

Reactions: mark_S3
They look very nice mate! very suited with silver car. Done this mod with a few of my old cars, hated the chrome look so took them apart and sprayed black.

look really good them :)

how easy was the strip down? as thats what im planning on doing with my lights :)

Thank you ;-)

They where fairly easy to split.
Preheated Oven to 100degrees.
Place unit into oven for around 3-5mins, which then softens the sealant. Out they come, then slowly prise apart the lens from the unit.
If the sealant is still hard, replace back into oven for a min or so and then have a go at prising apart again.... ;-)

Just need to seal the lens with clear LaminX now....
However I have protected the lens for the time being with a few coats of Collinite 476s Wax....

yea last time i put a light in the oven i had plastic string going to the bottom of it :D was safe to say it went in the bin haha, will give it a whirl when i get chance tho, need to get them working right 1st tho :)

Very nice and a big improvement!

I have a prefacelift and find the xenons very poor, although polishing the lenses helped a little bit.

Mine don't appear to self level and certainly don't move up and down on start up like some do.

Maybe I will eventually get round to doing something similar one day.

Very nice and a big improvement!

I have a prefacelift and find the xenons very poor, although polishing the lenses helped a little bit.

Mine don't appear to self level and certainly don't move up and down on start up like some do.

Maybe I will eventually get round to doing something similar one day.

Thanks pal....

The self levelling issue is quite common... Corrison and brittle plastic. Either the clog mechanism has gone, ball joint clip inside is broke or the self levelling system is broke.

Mark, that is totally amazing. it transforms the front of the car. A job very well done and well documented. :respekt: :hi: :) x

Mark, that is totally amazing. it transforms the front of the car. A job very well done and well documented. :respekt: :hi: :) x

Thanks Sandra.... Worth the all the time spent on them.
A fresher modern look with a tint of evilness.... Lol 😁

Reactions: Sandra
I've taken a few night shots.
First with my 6000k HID's
With my LED's sidelights
And a Sneaky one....

Reactions: Jay A3
Hey Mark, well done on the upgrade it looks very clean. Can you do a pic of how the light projects? Maybe onto a wall or something?
Thanks

Hey Mark, well done on the upgrade it looks very clean. Can you do a pic of how the light projects? Maybe onto a wall or something?
Thanks

Cheers pal....

This is the only picture I currently have of the beam pattern against my garage wall. (apologies for picture)

Hi mark_s3 I love what you've done think it looks the bo***cks ! I am thinking of putting a hid kit in my 8l s3 and have a question I've looked at them quickly and am struggling to see how the hid lamp holds in the light as I've put a kit in my old van before and it had the little metal clips to hold the lamp but the s3 lamp is in like a black screw cap it looks like , I'm a bit confused could you shed some light on my problem please and maybe a pic or two if you have any . Thanks a lot mate :)