Fitting FK Coliver on A3 Woes

elucidate

Reaction score
I have spent the last two days trying to fit my coilovers (FK Konigsport on 97 A3), I have also spent £250 on tools I didnt have and needed (air compressor).

So, today I finally got my front suspension in, BUT I wasnt sure which bits to re-use from the old suspension and so on.

So....I removed the big rubber part from the top of the old suspension, the inner sleve to that rubber part and I also used the same internal nut. They all went on top of the new suspension right on top of the new brass coloured plate which sits on top of the springs.

I then installed it and used the same top mounts and external nut to affix. Here i just the airgun as where on the old suspension you put an alan key in the middle and turn with a socket on the outside, my new suspension does not have this. Instaed in the middle it has a firmness adjuster.

So, on the first test drive the top mounts came loose. Another blip from the airgun and they were tight again.

BUT I noticed this:

dsc001949kw.jpg

Whats gone on? Is the car safe to drive? Can I get the 4 miles to work tommorow? How can I get this fixed, have i used too much bits from the old suspension, someone please help!!

Could have done with a picture from the top view, is the nut on the top tight?
What happens when you push the car down to compress the suspension?

I have H&R coilovers on myS3 and the top strut looks exactly like yours, nbo problem there. But your nuts shouldnt be getting loose no matter what!
You said that you have used the same one? Is it the one with the nylon insert? If so is it still there?

The nut on the top is really tight, my impact wrench made sure of that.

I hadn't thought of pushing the car down and checking the suspension, I will have to wait until tuesday maybe to do that.

Mo-S3 - do you mean your top mount sticks out like that as well???

Yes they are the same top mount nuts and yeah the nylock bit it still in place.

So does the strut not bounce about??

My Drivers side does not do that though, same on yours?

I'll be very happy if I have done it right :)

You just want to make sure there is no chance that it can come into contact with the bonnet when it is closed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just cant hwork out how it can be safe like that.

Mind, i Definately do need to find a way of making sure the top mounts come loose.

yeah i agree i does look strange but ive never encountered the strut to bounce about in the tower as it would be clearly audible and affect driving vastly. Both sides of mine are the same. Make sure you have used threadlock on your top strut nuts.

never touches the underside of the bonnet either.

I remember the instructions that came with the H&R's did mention that a few parts need to be used from the old suspension; bearing and the aluminium cup, cant remeber what else if thee was anything else.
I havent used the rubber part that you still have mounted on your aluminium disc.
I know for a fact that if mine bottomed out ever i would know about it and there would be obvious signs on the suspension tower too.

Yeah, I used the old big rubber boot, the thing that looked like a bearing which fits inside the rubber boot and I used the aluminium disc from the new coilovers as opposed to the old one.

I'm still worrying though....

that picture looks just like the top of my wifes ka, I was thinking they were knackered but was informed that its normal.

That gap is prefectly normal.

The suspension is designed so that even if you were to drive over a hump so fast as to lift the front wheels (which you will never do) the force of the spring and the antiroll bar is enough to hold the rubber top mount against the underside of the strut tower.

As an extra precausion audi fit the top piece in the engine bay. The rubber cover is just to protect the paint work when you jack the car up and work on the suspension as the gap will close.

You can watch the gap change from side to side if you turn the steering from lock to lock.

Bottom line is your suspension isn't going to fall out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Cool, well thats made me a LOT happier.

Thanks for all the advice people.

I was just worried after the 17 hours it took to fit the things. (of which ten hours was probably freeing rusted on bolts and buying compressors)

I now need to adjust the height as right now it scrubs like crazy, I have on fingers width inbetween the wheel and the arch, i was thinking two fingers would be about right, any thoughts from people who have lowered theirs?