Remap at 156k?

Ian2012

Reaction score
My a3 1.9tdiq is running well still giving over 50mpg uses a little oil every 10k, still toying with the idea of a remap (blacksmoke) but i as it's my daily driver and i do 30k a year i really don't want to start wearing things out faster than necessary, just wondered if anyone else has done this at this kinda mileage and what were the downsides.

Cheers

ian

I am pretty sure the turbo is the original, as for the clutch not sure but it feels very good no slip or judder nice feel to the pedal, i have owned the car for around 6 months previous owner was a firm of solicitors so it's got a very good history to it, but no evidence of either being changed, i would be amazed if it's the original clutch at this mileage.

my S3 was remapped between 125k and 130k before I owned it. It's now at 134. And still going strong.

I would also be amazed if the original clutch is still on it. As for the turbo at 153k I would want that changed before sticking a remap on it but thats how id look at it, so personal opinion.

My a3 1.9tdiq is running well still giving over 50mpg uses a little oil every 10k, still toying with the idea of a remap (blacksmoke) but i as it's my daily driver and i do 30k a year i really don't want to start wearing things out faster than necessary, just wondered if anyone else has done this at this kinda mileage and what were the downsides.

Cheers

ian

A stage 1 map from Revo or similar will crank up the fueling a lot and the turbo boost a little. The diesels run very air rich as standard.

I would pop the intake pipe off the turbo and check the shaft for play before mapping, any in and out play is bad. A little side to side is ok. If all seems ok then I would have no hesitation in mapping at your mileage.

My 2001 PD golf has had a Stage 2+ map since 41K, now on 160k, the torque breaks driveshafts for a pass time but the turbo is original and still going strong!

I've seen far more of the VNT turbos go due to not being driven hard enough! The variable vane slip ring clogs with soot and they then seize and oveeboost.

The turbo has been Mr Muscled and it gets driven properly every day, i also lube the VNT shaft on the outside on a regular basis a tip i picked up from somewhere on the web

Blacksmoke the company that send you a map for £45 and you upload it to the ECU yourself? I'd like to hear how you go with that if you do go for a remap... Brother has been talking about going for one for his 1.9 TDI

Somebody emailing you a map and you putting it on - how do you know how the car is running? It needs to be checked before and after, and adjusted to suit. The car is old, it will be out of tolerance and so there is a good chance it is not going to react to the map in the exact way intended.

Rick

It's more the health than the mileage that's important, especially the likes of the clutch & turbo. I would however advise getting well developed and proven software, rather than some internet file uploaded at home on a car that you haven't health checked.

My last TDi was a Passat PD just after Christmas, I sold that at 230k running Revo and going very strong.

Revo files are around £299 on the 1.9, depending upon version - contact your local dealer for full details - Locate a Dealer