help!!

jimbobean

Reaction score
Right i have a 2001 s3 bamg engine stage 2 remap, few weeks ago i had white smoke on start up, loosing coolant fluid, juddering slightly on startup and misfiring at higher revs, just had cambelt and water pump done so wasnt that, had two garage hydrocarbon test it and it was leaking exgaust gases into coolant and all pipes were rock solid just after start up, anyway went on and had hesd gasket done and all other gaskets and seals done whilst it was apart, there looked to be no cracka or visible signs of cracking so put it all back together again, now when it starts the idle problems have more or less gone but did the hydrocarbon test again and instantly it detected exhaust gases, so this all point towards a crack in the lower half of the engine :( my qusstion is could it be something else that could be the result in exhaust gases leaking into the coolant system? Thanks

If exhaust gases are leaking into coolant surely coolant is leaking into the engine. The only place that exhaust gases are dealt with is the head I believe, unless you have a crack in one of the cylinder walls. Are you sure your head is okay? Did they pressure test it before the put the head back on? I have read somewhere on the forum that there has been a rise in the number of BAM heads that have been cracking.

He hydrocarbon tested it befor and after doing head gasket but when he had in apart said it looked fine and dint seem to be any sort of signs of coolant entering the engine, unless ita a crack that opens up when its hot?? Couldnt be turbo problems could it?

Are you losing coolant? That is usually the cause of white smoke you can usually smell the coolant in the smoke. Is your oil cloudy ?

20v heads have a tendency to crack... they go between the exhaust valves a crack internally too...

Pressure/crack test is realistically the only way to see if the head is shot...

<tuffty/>

Yeah exactly what I thought. I have never heard of a hydrocarbon test. Does it test for hydrocarbons in a fluid?

hydrocarbons are usually found in recent head off engine work (contamination) but you can tell if its a fault as they will rise live if there is still a problem