S3, Rusty Roof, Should I buy?

mr_go_man

Reaction score
So, I drove an S3 today as I'm ready to buy. 2002, BAM, Dealer service history. When I arrived, the car was presented really poorly. Dirty, and significant clear coat peeling on the front bumper. It drove really nicely, however the major flaw was rust on the roof. The vendor wasn't aware of the rust, and of course I was ready to run away, fast. Basically I said I wasn't interested, but he said he wanted it gone, and wants me to give him an offer reflecting its current condition. So, can these be repaired, and if I get it for a really low price, can I get a bargain here, or should I just walk away. See the photos below.

hYfSqgN.jpg

It looks nice from a distance......
rwalrHY.png

Looking for advice here. I'm in New Zealand, but he wants NZD 12,500 (GBP 6,400).

Last edited:
More info.... It was first registered new in New Zealand August 2002.

It is still just about within its 12 year anti corrosion warranty.

If you say the car has full dealer SH, you maybe able to get it sorted free of charge through them as a warranty claim.

More info.... It was first registered new in New Zealand August 2002.

Cutting it close with the 12years anti corrosion warranty methinks. Anything less than full Audi service history, I doubt they would fix it I reckon. I mean a whole generation of 8P A3 has been and gone already.

Cutting it close with the 12years anti corrosion warranty methinks. Anything less than full Audi service history, I doubt they would fix it I reckon. I mean a whole generation of 8P A3 has been and gone already.

a. you would have thought each of it's dealer FSH would have picked up the rust. It's one of the visual body checks they do.

b. Suspicious that the owner did not notice that - is he partially blind ?

c. I would double check the history with the dealer immediately and a. confirm the history and b. ask why they didn't pick up that amount of obvious corrosion going on and furthermore would they fix it because it looks like it's been there for a while.

d. How good are you at spotting if the car has had a respray, repaired ? Because Audi will not honor the 12 year warranty if it has repaired by anyone - including themselves if it's been more than 3 years ago !!!

e. You do not need to have FSH by Audi in order to make a succesfull 100% claim.

btw, it does look good from a distance AND the other problem is they also dont look too bad closeup to the un-trained eye!

Reactions: s3dave
Common problem, £800-1000 to fix.

Offer him £2500.

I would not know what sort of values the S3 are fetching over there and costs for certain types of repairs - so personally I would suggest you start ringing round bodywork garages to get an idea of costs you will be faced with based on what you can see needs doing. Later, If you manage to get Audi to foot partial costs even better.

A good point the Goal has made is that it looks like it has been left a while like this, so Audi will and quite rightly so say its neglect and refuse any warranty, look into there small print it tells you about it..
So i would factor in a spray job or get the garage to do it before the sale?, on a gentleman's agreement that if it comes back satisfactory you will buy the car...