camber pins

lost_it

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are camber pins available for the S3.
I have just had my wheels aligned and we seem to have non adjustable Camber on the s3 in Sweden ?

We also noticed some other problems like Castor is off and we suspect a bent strut or twisted shell as the windscreen has developed a crack.
As to the cause, we hit a gigantic pothole at speed a while back and suspect that this was the cause.. I have never even bounced it off the ripple strips ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So if anyone knows who produces camber kits for the S3 i will be most grateful.

[ QUOTE ]
lost_it said:
Does anyone know if there are camber pins available for the S3.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, none available in that form.
Since the S3 uses a strut that fits inside the hub, rather than bolting to it with two flanges / two bolts, there is not the 'normal' means of adjustment available.

My understanding of the camber pins are cam'd bolts that you fit in place of the normal mounting bolts in order to set the camber...in this case this facility just doesn't exist.

[ QUOTE ]

I have just had my wheels aligned and we seem to have non adjustable Camber on the s3 in Sweden ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that Swedish S3's are the same as all the rest...there is limited camber adjustment available by moving the bottom ball joint...perhaps only 0.5 degrees or so.
I have managed to get about 1 degree of negative out of mine by moving the balljoints out.

What do you need? More negative?, or less?

although Audi like to claim there is no adjustment for the S3, there is - albeit limited. The A3 has indeed got no adjustment.

[ QUOTE ]

We also noticed some other problems like Castor is off and we suspect a bent strut or twisted shell as the windscreen has developed a crack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Castor can be 'tweeked' by moving the subframe about somewhat...although this adjustment again is limited as the subframe only holds the steering rack, lower suspension etc rather than everything (engine and all) as on previous VAG cars, like the Mk3 Golf GTI for example...anyway, I digress.

You can get some movememt on the subframe to allow the castor to be moved slightly...it may not be enough to get both sides to factory specs, depending on your car, but it should be enough to get both sides even.
you only have the adjustment available by moving the bolts within the holes...if you follow.

Since the front struts are identical, if you have the means, you could swap left to right and visa-versa...at least you can ellimenate the bent strut theory.

[ QUOTE ]

So if anyone knows who produces camber kits for the S3 i will be most grateful.

[/ QUOTE ]

So would I!

There is one other way I can think of:
You could adapt a set of generic eccentric alloy top mounts to allow camber adjustment to be made...this looks to me like it can be done, but I don't know anyone who makes a specific S3 set.
This would allow camber and castor adjustment...but since these top mounts (also known as pillowball) use spherical bearings in alloy housings, they are incredibly harsh and noisy. Not ideal.

Of course without knowing which way you are looking to go, it's more difficult to suggest a solution.

I, personally, am looking for more negative camber. The only easy method I have left is to remove the lower arms and see if there is any way I can mill out the slots to give a few more fractions of a degree of negative camber...but this will weaken the bottom arm!
So, without getting hold of some new arms and doing some fairly comprehensive measuring, testing and calculating, I'm not confident that it can be done safely...the bottom arm may need to be strengthened...and I'm not confident that can be done safely eather!

Have a play with the bottom ball joints and subframe positions...you may be OK with the adjustment they give you. Good luck!

I have found 2 references these by H&R Camber pins (does anyone know the bolt size to order) or this by KMAC camber plates These are suitable for the A3, I have contacted the Manufacturer as to suitability for the S3. These will give castor adjustment as well.

I am also after some adjustable tie rods for the S3 (rear) if anyone knows where I can get these from please join in.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
lost_it said:
I have found 2 references these by H&R Camber pins (does anyone know the bolt size to order)

[/ QUOTE ]

I can still se nothing that will work on an S3.
Please post the direct link if i've missed it!

Is it the Triple C camber adjustment bolts you are looking at? I'm assuming so as you mention the size you need.
If so, these will not work on the A3 / S3...the strut just doesn't mount in the way required for these to function.

I can see nothing else H&R make that can adjust camber.

[ QUOTE ]

or this by KMAC camber plates These are suitable for the A3, I have contacted the Manufacturer as to suitability for the S3. These will give castor adjustment as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see how they do it...same end result as adjusting the bottom ball joint...they give you an eccentrically drilled bush to replace the inner bush of the front LCA..by the look of things...and then presumably some form of slotted adjustment for the upper rear mount of the LCA.

I assume that differing adjustments between front and rear will effect castor.

I've never tried such a type of adjustment, so I can't comment on it's suitability, but i'd be sceptical about the ability to adjust both factors, in this way without the arm tending to bind up, as you are altering two mounts in completely opposite directions...maybe it does work and is the answer!

[ QUOTE ]

I am also after some adjustable tie rods for the S3 (rear) if anyone knows where I can get these from please join in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forge Motorsport do the adjustable rear arms....not cheap, but a quality TUV approved product.