All whoosh and no go

goodbuzzman1

Reaction score
So after a while suspecting my s3 of being a bit underpowered i replaced the vac lines etc with silicone, replaced the dv and put a silicone TIP on. Didnt make a whole lot of difference.

When i unplugged the N75 the car ran nice and smooth but was of course underpowered.

When i unplugged the MAF the car ran at its best so far. I bought a generic MAF and put it in and quickly realised that it was pure ****e. The idle was lumpy and the the drive was undriveable.

I got my hands on a replacement bosch one now and it seems to be good BUT...The delivery of boost without the MAF plugged in was still much better, with it plugged in there are still occasional moments of hesitation combined with lots of whoosh and no go..it does sound lie an intermittent boost leak.

any ideas?

this is what i get

Address 01: Engine Labels: 06A-906-032-BAM.lbl
Part No: 8N0 906 018 J
Component: 1.8L R4/5VT G 0004
Coding: 10710
Shop #: WSC 33278
VCID: 387513E1180774DE637-5140
WAUZZZ8LX31208933 AUZ7Z0B2170434

3 Faults Found:
17968 - Maximum Engine Speed Exceeded: Engine Warranty VOID!
P1560 - 35-10 - -) - Intermittent
17861 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235)
P1453 - 35-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent
18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30
P1602 - 35-10 - Voltage too Low - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

Well the engine speed is usually down to the car revving very high, is it mapped? The EGT sensor is important, get that looked at ASAP as the Ecu can't monitor the exhaust temp so it dumps fuel in to help cool itself - it will think it's to hot. The last fault usually comes from having the battery disconnected.

I dont think its mapped. The previous owner never mentioned it and its my first s3 so i dont really know what it should feel like if it was mapped.

As for what you are saying about the car thinking its hot........ i have noticed that if i park the car up for a few hours then get back in an drive it, the tamp gauge goes straight to 90 degrees in a matter of seconds. could this be related?

Yes if the EGT sensor can't get a reading, it just think it's hot and dumps in fuel. Your fuel economy will be pretty poor, I've been there! That sounds like the coolant temp sensor is not reading correctly. After a few hours it should have dropped to below 90, if not down to 60. A bad coolant temp sensor will affect the overall running of the car too.

when i bought the car, the gauge always sat just under 90 but from what i read, if its not sitting at 90 theres something wrong, so i changed the stat and it sits at 90 now.
Im guessing a faulty EGT will affect power too?
also, is there any way for me to find out if my car has been mapped?

sorry, im trying to learn about logging. I have VAG-COM and cable. What should i be logging specifically