Corbeau Revolution bucket seats

NathanGlover

Reaction score
Bought two corbeau Revolution buckets seats yesterday at bhp show in Kent.

Just a question regarding mounting. I have bought the side mounts but can I mount onto standard mounts in car of will others needed to be bought?

Thanks

there are really two options for you at this point mate.

You can either buy some car specific subframes, which will allow you to use your sidemounts on the car specific subframes and into the car.

Otherwise, it's a carpet out job and weld in some proper rails to bolt them to, which is a pretty big job.

Lose the oem mounts. It can be done this way but you still fairly high and the oem mount doesnt sit level so you will lose 2 -3 of your adjustment holes in the side mounts leveling the seat up.
If you are able do weld in bars do them. Its a better job in all ways.
mines on oem subframes for now. Not keen on it. no room under the seat for your hands to adjust harness's and still fairly heavy.

Joy of building a track car.

Do you guys know if it is illegal to drive to Road with bucket seats that have side head supports?

On my old track car, I built my own subframe that picked up the original bolt holes, then bolted my (home made) side mounts to that,

Was probably as low as you could even get it on bars.

Do you guys know if it is illegal to drive to Road with bucket seats that have side head supports?
After doing lots of research seat and harness related i found that its a very grey area and dependant on mot test centres. I very much doubt you get any bother elsewhere. Prawn has head protection on his seats and its a road going car

Absolutely not illegal mate. not at all :)

I run Cobra Sebring GT's in mine and have had no issues what so ever:

Also, if you're building a track car, do it properly from the off. Cut out the old rails and weld in bars properly to FIA spec :)

Reactions: CMcKenzie
prawn I'm going to apologise now for the amount of things I'm going to be asking you in the coming weeks for this project

Read and research.

Prawn writes fantastic reports on his car with loads of detailed pictures and information, if you have the understanding to do the job it should all fall into place. I love reading through his thread and recapping things that were done.

Have you done a track day yet? What state of tune is the car now?

The engine is where I want to leave it atm. Suspension is done just need strut braces front and rear. But cage is going to be the next issue. Never build a track car before.

I'm going to be drivibg this stripped out car as my daily.

But cage is going to be the next issue. Never build a track car before.

I'm going to be drivibg this stripped out car as my daily.

Very sensible, you really won't regret it! getting the car safe is a big deal, decent seats, properly mounted are a must. Sounds like you've done the first bit right with good seats, I'd finish it all off nicely by mounting them on proper rails :)

I think I did a post on this a while back, I'll see if i can find it.

Also, providing you keep your door bars low at the front, it'll be surprisingly easy to jump in and out daily, and you'll be amazed at how non offensive it'll be inside too. mine's really not that loud at all even with everything removed.

Really really ancient pic, but it gives you an idea of access with low single door bars:

Shamelessly found an old post, which was a copy of an even older post I wrote about installing buckets in an 8L:

Here's what I previously had to say about bucket seats, shamelessly copied from an old post of mine:

How they're mounted properly:

167244_491256336776_156234_n.jpg

167078_491315251776_1190627_n.jpg

Cobra Monaco Pro:

165351_491833876776_23214_n.jpg

RMD Maximum Protection (Haha - *** yea right!?!) from Rally Design:

They didn't end up so well. Anyone spot the issue?

Don't buy cheap seats people:

Then it was time for some proper seats!

Cobra Sebring GT - ProFit

And a few previous posts about seats which might help you out here:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/208101-bucket-seat-pic-request-help.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/201106-bucket-seats-how-hard-they-make-fit.html

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/191371-bucket-seats-s3.html

I also did a write up on the cage install too, give me a shout when you get to that point :racer:

Nick did. With some regulation thickness box section, the dimensions and thickness are in the links.

Who did your weld in bars nick?

As Jardo said, I did.

30mm x 3mm wall box section, and 3mm thick steel end plates, to 40cm² minimum. 50x80mm in my case.

I could do yours too at some point in the future if you ever wanted to re-mount yours Daz, just not in a position where I've got the time at the moment or I'd have offered to help to save all your recent hassle! :(

I don't know if I could cope with full harnesses on a daily, I always drop stuff in the car and you can't reach anything.
Last time I took I had to use a full track car on the road for a few days was an entertaining nightmare. Changing lanes on the motorway is a bit Kamikaze since you can't check your blind spot.
At least on track you have the co driver checking for lapping traffic when you merge on track from a staggered start.

As Jardo said, I did.

30mm x 3mm wall box section, and 3mm thick steel end plates, to 40cm² minimum. 50x80mm in my case.

I could do yours too at some point in the future if you ever wanted to re-mount yours Daz, just not in a position where I've got the time at the moment or I'd have offered to help to save all your recent hassle! :(

My brains made of mush i could have sworn you said you had them done by a friend.
Defo up for changing mine when ever you can fit it in. No rush as they are in and are safe but I hate it on oem mounts.
of course be a decent drink in it for ya!!
But for anyone reading id only recommend how prawns done it.
much more professional finish
do it right do it once!!!

I don't know if I could cope with full harnesses on a daily, I always drop stuff in the car and you can't reach anything.
Last time I took I had to use a full track car on the road for a few days was an entertaining nightmare. Changing lanes on the motorway is a bit Kamikaze since you can't check your blind spot.
At least on track you have the co driver checking for lapping traffic when you merge on track from a staggered start.

i agree with some of this. Ive never felt i cant see enough tbh. Just make sure you check mirrors regularly enough. However it does take me 5 mins to get to a point of being able to pull away, time ive fitted the harness and refitted it due to leaving my phone and wallet on the dash lol.
would 100 percent never go back though. Its totally made the car for me. Hated it oem. Love it empty!! 2k miles a year for me though!

My brains made of mush i could have sworn you said you had them done by a friend.

Had help with the cage welding, simply because mine wasn't neat enough back then. Seat rails I did myself on Christmas day and Boxing day 2010!

We'll find time for yours mate, so long as you're not in a tearing hurry :laugh:

Had help with the cage welding, simply because mine wasn't neat enough back then. Seat rails I did myself on Christmas day and Boxing day 2010!

We'll find time for yours mate, so long as you're not in a tearing hurry :laugh:

Your a top man nick!!! Will get there for sure i know. No biggy just a better job long term as you well know

I'm removing the front seats today just a quick question will the air bags go off if I undo the cables below the seat?

remove the plastic caps on the backs of the rollers, single hidden screw in each. The seat then slides out backwards once you've undone the 2 front m8 bolts in the centre

Thanks for the last reply prawn.

Cars been in the garage for a week now getting them put in. I'll post pictures on Tuesday of when it comes back.

Do you know how to remove the rear seat belts to put the mounting points for the harnesses?