Tomo's noggy blue & blue s3

TomoUK

Reaction score
So guys after nearly 2 years of searching for, saving for and yes pining after an audi s3 I have finally purchased one just in time for my 22nd birthday. I have a rough idea of the direction that I want to take it was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions and help in general.

She has already been mapped roughly 265bhp. I would like to uprate the exhaust system to the miltek and install a forge front mounted intercooler (is this possible to do keeping the fog lights in place?) any supporting upgrades that I'll need to install prior to or after these?

I really like the colour codes hoses that forge have to offer are these any good or just aesthetically pleasing? And 007p vs 008p vs split r? I'm leaning towards the 008.

Not sure if it is just an age thing or how she was built but she could do with being a bit stiffer, was hoping to just get away with just using lowering. Springs 15's maybe 20 (I don't live on the smoothest roads). I will look into changing the shocks at some point but haven't got that far into looking at that, which shocks and springs do people on here rate?

Brakes will be done soon is there any audi upgrades or will I need to get looking down the aftermarket route? If so any opinions?The rear ones will need doing first.

This isn't going to be an instant in the garage and boom done, will take years I'm guessing. But I will appreciate any answer and opinions you all have to offer and pictures will follow soon

Oh and this badger5 tip that I've read about can I get some more info on that please

Oh and clutch's, I've read a little about a gsf/Sachs clutch. Anyone have any other ideas?

Finally (I think) haldex upgrades have had a little look on the Internet for these anyone used them? I will be using this as my daily hack and weekend fun, with maybe the odd track day. Which should I be looking at?

Look in the FAQs for a starter... there is a big thread on FMIC's... Forge one is too small IMO but is easy to fit and will keep fogs... its also expensive... fine when there were no other options but there are loads of better options now and plenty of info on here so have a search about

If you fit a split-r I will ban you from ASN :)

Badger 5 TIP
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/badger-5/135947-s3-tt-lcr-k04-full-induction-kit-package.html
..and
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/badger-5/163901-***new***-v3-badger5-80mm-silicon-tip.html

Haldex upgrade controller is no longer available new as far as I am aware... its also very expensive (£600-£700 new) and holding price second hand... the few that have them think they are ace... I have not got one and run big horsepower... not saying it wouldn't make the car feel better but I have not been in a position where I feel compelled to get one as yet..

Clutch choice can be subjective... shame as they are never a cheap thing to do... I use an LuK dual mass flywheel, LuK std pressure plate and a Sachs 4 puck paddle friction plate... this is OE light on the pedal but with the grip for as much power as I have been able to chuck at it so far..

There are a few members here running the same setup too

<tuffty/>

Reactions: CMcKenzie
Welcome pal, yes FAQ is a good read as are most of the threads you see, always try and do a search too before you ask the question.
Well done getting a noggy, I collected mine this weekend :)

I have had a read but wanted to start a thread, and thought that I would ask a few questions as well as post what I've been doing, trying to kill a few birds with one stone ha. Ah nice one, yeah I picked mine up last Thursday. Was a good drive home! Pics will follow today later today. Thanks for the info tuffy will have a read up later. The want for a forge intercooler started when I saw an s3 with one and some back lit LEDs just set it all off. And brakes, do you find that they don't have quite enough bite?

You could get some DS2500 pads they are suppose to be great, once mine needs a new set that's what I will be getting

I will have a look into them, just need something I feel. When I took it for proper drive after only a couple of corners it felt like they were starting die on me.

A couple quick pics
uge5y5y8.jpg

yvetybev.jpg

yjudytug.jpg

zumebu8e.jpg

I will have a look into them, just need something I feel. When I took it for proper drive after only a couple of corners it felt like they were starting die on me.

I went for DS2500 pads and Motul RBF660 fluid and this transformed the braking on the std setup... other than that there is a brake thread in the FAQs which details different setups if you want something better

<tuffty/>

If need be you can always get one of the other (better and cheaper) Fmic variants and spray something on there then back light it,can make it your own then as well.

Yes I think I will be going down the new pads and fluid road as new discs are a little pricey at the moment. Will be ordering the 008p next week sometime, and have decided to install a quicker too, I want back and forth and side to side. Will probably be going for the forge options here. Did I see something about a forum discount with forge? Still haven't made my mind up on the fmic yet but it'll be a little while before it's done anyway.

I have seen replicas of the forge shifter on eBay, it can't be difficult to replicate the forge one so might give the cheaper alternative a go.

We'll the front n/s spring has just snapped so will have to be reaching that before anything. Not good!

Well H&R springs are ordered and should be here either tomorrow or Friday and it is having them fitted Friday. Yeah will look into that dave b, any write ups on here about it? I got about 12 pages into the fmic thread last night but I had to go to sleep so will continue soon ha.

The noise was unbearable! Lucky 13th day of ownership ha

Just been having a think, changing the clutch before a map?

What would be the better, more balanced brake setup? Lcr front and rears or lcr fronts and these s4 rears I've seen on here? The rears will be changed months before the fronts and should I still be looking into the ds2500 pads? Thanks

Right then after a little delay the springs have arrived and there blue? I'm sure I read on here somewhere that they were red? Oh well matches the Noggy blue car ha. And first impressions were mixed bit crashy especially at excessive speeds. But after a 100 miles I guess they have settled down a bit and I got used to it (was driving my mr2 which is set up to a tea). But need to get the shocks, top mounts and bushes on soon as really but god it's all rather expensive so I'm afraid my mr2 will have to go :( needs some tlc first though. But anyway back on topic, I've been looking at and pretty much have my mind made up on the blisten b8's unless anyone has another ideas worth looking into first? And these silver project top mounts look to be ideal and an alright price? Right onto poly bushes.... Anyone know a good place to start on these as it'll have to be done in stages and a good supplier?

yhyrava4.jpg

hyqypa5a.jpg

y5etygem.jpg

puda3eha.jpg

Oh and randomly the car had one lowering spring on the rear drivers side??

Oh my!!! I'm sure this car just love love loves my money! I'm happy with the springs there a lot better now than when originally put on. But today after a nice drive out for breakfast got back in the car and the engine light has come on. I've ordered a vagcom cable, I'll need the software to be able to read anything yeah? And I've spoken to one garage today and they can run a check tomorrow but not a vagcom one anything a better than nothing I guess. Am about to order some wheel spacers and shocks just waiting to hear back from dpm also waiting on a reply from s3dave about his tie bars. Then I might actually get around to squeezing out some extra horses of the car.

Last edited:
Oh no looks like you having a little trouble as of late.
Hopefully it's only one of two things end everything else is fine.
Yes you will need to download VagCom online to use the cable and some of the cheaper cable won't work properly

I haven't gone for a cheap cheapy but a kinda mid range one off of amazon hopefully it'll work else I'll send it back and just get a proper one. Yeah thought I might have to. Ross diagnostics the place to get it (or whatever the site was called)?

The car is still running fine everything is how I would like apart from the light hopefully it's nothing much.

Oh and another problem I have found is an intermittent fault with one of the dipped beams, something the dash will light up with the error just after the car has been started and lights turned on if I turn off everything and try again seems to fix it and I can see it flickering over bumpy roads too I'm hoping this is just a loose connection though, will inspect more closely soon.

Right it's been in the garage and had the codes checked not on a vcds but another system. And the codes that have come back are

P1296 - cooling system error detected

P0011 - camshaft timing ****** (bank 1) target value not attained

And 9 about the central locking system but that seems to be working fine. Any info would be appreciated thanks

A little update, the car is in the garage and a good job too, got the hot pipe off and the cover of the cambelt off and there wasn't a lot left off it... So having a new cambelt, water pump, tensioners the lot really. Also going to get a full service done just to settle my mind will be changing the oil pick up pipe as I've read that this could cause the cambelt to lose tension? Not too sure what has cause this as there is paperwork to say that the cambelt was done just over 3k ago don't know it's the pick pipe or that they didn't change the tensioners when the cambelt, am going to try and get a hold of the garage that did the cambelt to see if they have any record of what work was done as I only have a sticky label that i placed in the service book (was under the bonnet)

I decided that I would order a proper vagcom which has arrived today so anyone in the southwest that wants a scan give me a shout. And I'll have a little look around on mine when I have chance.

When getting the service done is there any little things that you guys recommend uprating? Like spark plugs or anything like that, will try and get a hold of badger5 to get an induction kit and get that done while it's having the work done.

Any info would be appreciated thanks

Can someone explain the difference in these please, haven't installed either yet.

paby6y7u.jpg

jetagavy.jpg

I have seen replicas of the forge shifter on eBay, it can't be difficult to replicate the forge one so might give the cheaper alternative a go.
I did the same thing, went with one of these, Its actully a decent upgrade, been running spot on for 3 months and shifting feels alot more positive. On the shortest setting 3rd gear looks like its in neutral :p. Easy to fit too.

Reactions: dannyh
I did the same thing, went with one of these, Its actully a decent upgrade, been running spot on for 3 months and shifting feels alot more positive. On the shortest setting 3rd gear looks like its in neutral :p. Easy to fit too.

Thanks Machine that's really useful to know someone has had one and it's a good bit of kit! :)

Right it's been a little while so think I'll give an update basically the issue was with poor cambelt fitting well the cover I believe was the culprit it slipped and started rubbing on the belt itself so that has all been changed

While it was there I had a part service done not everything as I plan on changing a few things over the next couple of weeks (brake fluid, pads and discs, TIP and waterless coolant maybe)

Not sure if that got to the bottom of the coolant problem as it's still not running consistently at running temp so going to get that investigated next week thinking might possibly be a dodgy thermostat.

Right now brakes I was thinking of replacing the most worn parts first (rear discs and front pads) then doing the rest at a later date will be going LCR discs and DS2500 all round unless anyone shouts out and says that'll cause an issue and some HEL brake lines too

saqahuju.jpg

My new colour coded mats arrived too so they are now in and it's booked in to have the front bumper, both wings, D/S 1/4 panel and bumper all straightened up and resprayed (had a handbrake failure the other day and messed the rear up) the rest is for
Minor rust issues and scraping on the front :(

amaze5ug.jpg

Little catch up on what I've done this weekend. Well my B5 TIP and cone arrived so I got that on straight away! Feels amazing, more umph, sounds great and looks good!

yny9e2yh.jpg

Then I gave the bay a quick clean, took the covers out and gave them a clean and did the N249 bypass nice and easy little mod to do yourself

a9y3u5as.jpg

My countersunk fasteners arrived too so I sprayed them blue but there is a question as to how long that will last ha but look good for the meantime. I did have a go at wrapping the covers as I had some spare but no I could not do it. Rather tricky actually! Ha

ere9ysu8.jpg

The car is in the body shop for a couple days on Monday getting the war wounds sorted and then she's having a new thermostat, temperature switch and evans waterless coolant when it out the body shop. Will hopefully sort out the running temp problems I've been having

Time for an update, well the bodywork has been done and i had all the trims sprayed black, looks mean! Will get some pics up soon when ive had a chance to tidy her up a bit. New thermostat and temperature sender fitted and all the other pieces, i have the Evans Waterless coolant sat in the boot waiting to go in but was advised to clear the antifreeze before going ahead so that will all be finished next week sometime, just waiting on a replacement cone filter to arrive and then hopefully all the issues as of late will have been sorted.

Will be looking to change the shocks soon, thinking of the B8's unless anyone has any other ideas? Seen them matched with the H&R springs on here and seems to get good reviews. After that i'll be doing the dics and pads as i just cannot afford a calliper upgrade anytime soon and have seen that this should be sufficient for the meantime. going to go for the DS2500 all around not 100% on which disc's yet though.

Anyone know the specs of the 2 hoses either side of the inlet? thanks

Well its been a while so i thought id post a little update of whats been done recently, Well we now have Mtech drilled and grooved disc all round, super blue racing fluid and mintex pads (came with the disc's) so gonna get some use out of them before there uprated. new calliper on the rear as the handbrake jammed open and had to replace the calliper. gearbox, front and rear diff and haldex oils changed and the haldex filter done too. Just pricing up a load of polly bushes for her now, adjustable top mounts, and im thinking that ill go down the coilover route now instead of shock and springs so just deciding on what ones will best suit me. she's a daily over some rough roads so any ideas will be appreciated. looking to get a few of the more recent pics up and take a couple in the next week or so. will update again soon.

Edit: Oh how could i forget, had the forge throw and side to side quck shift parts fitted today. feels stiff hopefully it'll loosen up a bit but still very nice and im happy with it.

good looking thread, glad everythings coming along for you.

Do you have any pictures of the trims which were sprayed black?