turbo hanging off the manifold

Miguel_S#

Reaction score
hello

turbo is hanging off the manifold i bolt it back up but after a few minutes it is hanging of the manifold again

its a chinese copies the bolt go directly into the cast.

new oem bolts is enough to resolve the problem?

kind regards

Bill @ badger5 sold me a set of bolts as I was having similar issues... Now 5 months on and haven't touched them since :)

Are you sure it's the bolts coming loose and not the inserts in the turbo working loose? If you can take the bolts out I'd assume it's the first option..

Google "Nord Lock washers". They're what you want and should stop the bolts working loose.

Reactions: <tuffty/>
I was having the same problem so I got a mate to machine me some new turbo inserts and make me some studs up so I just put a nut and washer on the studs that worked a treat

audi dont have bolts in stock so i try only with nord lock and is the same.
tomorrow i will fit the bolts and washers

I tried Nordlock washers. Didnt work for me. I dont believe they have enough allowance in growth to still be effective to allow for the thermal expansion of the bolt.

The incline between the faces only allows 2-3mm growth, and only works if the bolt has turned to become loose. So if the bolts has grown by even 1mm from thermal expansion the Norde lock washer wont take up that slack and the bolt will no longer have that tension on itIt can then spin freely without moving the Nordlock..

Reactions: s3dave
I used to have this problem, is the turbo support bracket on? he wont have inserts if its a shanghai suprise turbo, and nordlock washers dont work, the only way i stopped mine was tacking the bolts with a mig welder..

Reactions: Sam_
I tried Nordlock washers. Didnt work for me. I dont believe they have enough allowance in growth to still be effective to allow for the thermal expansion of the bolt.

The incline between the faces only allows 2-3mm growth, and only works if the bolt has turned to become loose. So if the bolts has grown by even 1mm from thermal expansion the Norde lock washer wont take up that slack and the bolt will no longer have that tension on itIt can then spin freely without moving the Nordlock..

nordlocks do work

bolts are one time use..