EM TuningAH Fabrications
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Should my DV sound like this with S2000 filter fitted

Reverse Gear

Status

Should my DV sound like this with S2000 filter fitted

Hi all I fitted a S2000 air filter last night and took it for a quick spin but I'm not quite sure if it should sound like this, opinions welcome.
    A3 1.8T Sport S2000 Filter - YouTube

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Lavis89 on Facebook
    What valve do you have on there? Whatever it is I would say it needs replacing
    2001 1.8T Quattro Sport 89k covered ARY engine.
    Remapped at Badger 5, 213bhp - 235lb/ft torque.
    HS2K cone, FMDV008, Silicon TIP, 18" RS4 (reps), AP coilovers, Catch can, n249 bypass, Toyosport 3" Downpipe/Decat, S3 Front brakes, Polyflexed Dogbone, S3dave adjustable tie bars

Soon to be done: SAI delete, Install the toyosport FMIC i have kicking about in my living room

Reverse Gear

Status
    Cheers for the reply Lavis, this is the first mod I've done to the car so everything is standard including the DV.
    To be honest I wasn't expecting any type of blow off noise at all as I'm presuming the standard DV blows the air back into the maf.

1st Gear

Status
    sound the exact same as mine when I dumped the standard air box , , oh and I replaced the standard dv with a performance one and the two sounded the same , so I would say no it not knackered

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Check the pipe from the n75 to actuator

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks Jim and Dave, at least I know the DV isn't toast anyhow. I'll check the pipe on my dinner and get back with my finding

Reverse Gear

Status

Checked all the pipes from the N75 and all are good.
    Thought I'd better check the pipes from the DV. I noticed the top one had a split as I moved it slightly this happened.
    I've now replaced it but I didn't get chance to check if the blow off sound had changed. Going to give it a blast after work. Fingers crossed 😬
    Last edited by Tunny; 30th April 2014 at 15:12.

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    I think that repair will do the trick...

Reverse Gear

Status

Well it still sounds the same when revving but under load it sounds much better, you can hardly hear the blow off unless you floor it, if nothing else at least I tided the cold air intake up and managed to get the heatsink as close as I could to the inlet, plus it pulls much better now lol.
    I'd still like to know if it should sound like this though, then at least I know if it needs rectifying or not.
    http://youtu.be/gQshWCPsPwc

Neutral

Status
    That sounds like the DV isnt opening and air is going back across the turbo, i have the same filter, give me ten mins ill do a video.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Cheers much appreciated

Neutral

Status
    This is what mine sounds like, got abit of a tap going on at idle which needs investigating though.
    Audi S3, s2000 filter - YouTube

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Lavis89 on Facebook
    It shouldn't have any fluttering noise, if you do get a blow off noise it should be one whoosh, not a fluttery Japanese style blow off valve type noise.
    Prawn likes this.
    HS2K cone, FMDV008, Silicon TIP, 18" RS4 (reps), AP coilovers, Catch can, n249 bypass, Toyosport 3" Downpipe/Decat, S3 Front brakes, Polyflexed Dogbone, S3dave adjustable tie bars

Soon to be done: SAI delete, Install the toyosport FMIC i have kicking about in my living room

Reverse Gear

Status
    That sounds like I thought it should sound to be honest Machine, beefy-whoosh. I was a bit disappointed at first when I fitted the filter so cheers for the vid mate it's a massive help. All I need now is to know whether the standard diverter can be stripped down for investigation, I'm pretty sure I've seen a service kit for them. Then again I might have been looking at something else.
    Thanks again lavis !!!

5th Gear

Status
    Oem dv's are around 30 quid, doubt they are sevicable though. Id buy one to confirm its ok.
    Have you checked that pipe thoroughly it looks old and perished.

1st Gear

Status
    Your DV is gone. needs replacing. Same happened to my S3 when i put the S2k filter on. Got another DV from Audi directly for ~£30 IIRC, swapped them over - low and behold - normal whooshing sound returned.

Just phone your local Audi and they'll either have the part in or get it next day, 5 minute job.
    Tunny likes this.
    S3 - APY silver

Reverse Gear

Status
    I've check all the pipes, I've replaced the one that looks perished, so jobs a good un that confirms it I'll replace the DV asap. I'll post a reply to confirm it worked out for me as there maybe others with the same issue.
    Thanks again to all, your help is hugely appreciated !!!

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah let us know how you get on mate, i'm 100% that's what it'll be - the diaphragm inside the OEM DV splits as it perishes over the years and causes the fluttering sound you hear!
    S3 - APY silver

Reverse Gear

Status
    Will do, great explanation Will, I can't wait to get it sorted now. I've only had the A3 a few weeks and other that fitting my JVC head unit (which is the reason I joined Audi-sport initially) this is the first mod I've done. Love it regardless of the flutter good job I decided to go for the S2k mod as I would have never known about the fault. Happy days
    s3dave and Lavis89 like this.

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Lavis89 on Facebook
    Good luck, hopefully it should fix your issue, it sounds pretty typical of a DV fail, of all the parts that are a common failure on these cars at least you got one of the cheaper ones!
    Tunny likes this.

Audi Virgin

Status
    as has been said, that's broke! should sound like machine's, and like mine...

http://www.toon-ring.co.uk/s3.mp4

although mine is the badger 5 v3 TIP & JR Filter, with a forge 007p
    Tunny likes this.

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    sounds like a failled DV to me.

If you've fixed the dodgy VAC pipe and it still sounds like that, then the DV has failled.

Get it sorted, you'll get less silly noises, more power, and better fuel economy!
    Tunny likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ToonRing-G View Post
    as has been said, that's broke! should sound like machine's, and like mine...

http://www.toon-ring.co.uk/s3.mp4

although mine is the badger 5 v3 TIP & JR Filter, with a forge 007p

Thats sounds awesome, I have a s2000 air filter, standard DV and standard TIP, and my APY doesn't whoosh like yours

But im glad lad to say, I have a badger 5 v3 tip in the post

Anyone have any advice on the v3 installation??

Reverse Gear

Status

I second that it sounds great ToonRing.
    To be fair Prawn I didn't think it was too bad on juice but bonus if it ups the mpg too. Winner

2nd Gear

Status
    As the others have said. Your standard DV is knackered, happened to me. get a forge 007p or an eBay rep £35 (had this on my old A3) and you will get a small 'whoosh' and no fluttering noises.

Progress Thread - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...thread%5D.html

A3 8L 1.8T AGU BLACK

Reverse Gear

Status
    Cheers I ordered one from my local Audi dealer today and I'll be picking it up tomorrow 😀
    I was a bit confused with the part numbers though as the number on the DV fitted to the car is 034 145 710 C but when I rang Audi and gave them my reg and vin he said this one is listed for mine 06 A145 710N (http://www.stokeaudi-parts.co.uk/pro...ump-Valve.html) I took his advice anyhow and ordered the 710n plus I've also read many on here have also used this part number

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Visit westcoast a3's Youtube Channel
    It's the revised part number with a better diaphragm

Reverse Gear

Status
    Win Win situation then thanks for clearing that up westcoast.
    I was going to purchase this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:RTQ:GB:1123
    But even though I messaged him and he said its in 100% working condition I didn't want to gamble with regards to the part number situation, plus I knew buying new would defo rectify my problem

Reverse Gear

Status
    http://youtu.be/cDvo8gDJPmQ

Fitting and running great. It does only have a slight blow off sound when driven but that suits me and to be honest that's what I was hopping for (keeps the misses from giving me stick )
    Cheers for the help again folks
    willh92 likes this.

Audi Virgin

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam11189 View Post
    Thats sounds awesome, I have a s2000 air filter, standard DV and standard TIP, and my APY doesn't whoosh like yours

But im glad lad to say, I have a badger 5 v3 tip in the post

Anyone have any advice on the v3 installation??
    Thanks! I also have the sound deadening removed from the underside of the bonnet, which makes it marginally louder. Im used to old ford RS Turbos, so to me, this is really quiet lol

the V3 was an easy fit, the only thing I would say, is that I had to trim about an inch or so off at the MAF end, to avoid having a kink in the hose, but I believe this is normal procedure for some installations

1st Gear

Status
    You should've just put a 007p DV on it, a lot more reliable than the standard an only £20-30 more. You may even find one on eBay for cheaper, if I'd have seen ur post earlier I had a standard one off my old S3 you could've had for nowt.
    Tunny likes this.

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by yuleys3 View Post
    You should've just put a 007p DV on it for bling factor, it's also been proven to fail a lot more than the standard one and only £20-30 more to get those extra scene points. You may even find one on eBay for cheaper than that, which will probably have the old piston design that will leak over time - which is why Forge have re-designed it and they will be happy to sell you a valve service kit to replace the old design at more cost
    Edited For Accuracy and basically sums up a lot from 16Klappe's link - what can I say.....I'm a bit bored at work

If you can get a 007P for cheapish and with the updated piston design then do it- but the OEM valve works perfectly well.
    russwuss likes this.
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

1st Gear

Status
    Each to there own opinion m8, I haven't had an 8l for donkeys so no need for a DV, when I had one the 007p I was always told was better. If it's now been found not to be then stick with the standard obviously. U can pick yellow spring ones up for £45 on fleebay or u could as I said not needed to look for one or into for ages!

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    No qualms mate

It is amazing how marketing from companies can sway you into believing this that and the other is the best to grab your money. I fell victim to the Split R tbh when I first took ownership of an 8L S3 some 6 years ago now - but soon learnt they are most definitely not the best for the 1.8t motor.

Until proper R&D is done over a long period of time and across many different motors is completed then I am very hesitant in buying/fitting modified parts now.

In this instance, it's something that Forge didn't expect either from the 007P- and I jumped on the band wagon immediately after the piston and seal was found to be the prone for leaking and for a short period of time Forge were sending the service kits which included the newly redesigned piston out free of charge to existing customers with leaky valves. Since then they now charge people for the pleasure of having to fix the leak. If anyone were to buy a brand new 007P then they all come with it now- but the ones that have been hanging around for a while will have the old design in them.
    Tunny likes this.
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Cheers for the offer yuley regardless of the lateness, I'm glad I bought new though as delivery was next day plus I needed to be 100% sure it was going to leak free.
    Interesting read Klappe, I'm more than happy with the 710n, extremely smooth and really responsive acceleration.
    The main reason I opted to use this DV is I didn't want an obvious oooooooosh (getting a bit old for that now lol) plus I had a baileys on my 306 Dts, many moons ago, which got on my tits after about a week.
    After reading through the thread you provided I'm well chuffed.

The thing is there's probably shed loads of 1.8t owners with no mods at all with no idea if there DV is faulty or not, I didn't realise until I disconnected the standard air filter and gave it a rev.

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Any recirculation valve is going to sound the same, unless you change the boost pressure and it ends up dumping more air.

The reason the standard valve works so well with our car is because that's what it was designed to have.

The rubber seal is a better seal than the Forge, the spring is softer so it opens with less effort and gives a quicker release of pressure, and because of the smooth opening and closing and rubber seal it closes just as fast and seals instantly.

My old car ran a 710n and an S2000 filter after lots of messing about, and I still don't think anybody has had more power out of a K03s on here yet.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

Status
    Spring pressure does change the sound. from a slow lazy woosh to a short sharp one depending on how stiff the spring it.

New forge valves with the O-ring seal up just fine, although there's really nothing wrong with a good new standard one.

Personally, i'd still run the forge, as I believe even new standard ones will split in time.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow fanta On Twitter Add fanta on Facebook Add fanta on Google+ Visit fanta's Youtube Channel Visit fanta's Instagram Channel
    mine sounded like this until replacing a couple of pipes and the dv, I kinda liked it, but it wasn't right.

Status
    Mine sounded like it for 6 months before I knew there was anything wrong with it!

I had mates with Ford Cosworth stuff running no DV at all, so the compressor stall sound seemed normal at the time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast