A3 312mm Brake upgrade

drewman

Reaction score
Been looking into this and from memory you just need calliper carriers and 312 discs but this lead me to wonder how it improves braking.

Am I being really stupid in saying if you're using the same pads, you're biting on the same amount of disc so shouldn't increase stopping power?
Or is it to do with cooling? :uhm:

A larger disc has a larger mass so therefore increases the time it takes to heat up and secondly a larger disk with the calipers spaced out provides more braking force as you are pinching further away from the centre of the hub thus giving more leverage if you catch my drift

Gotcha! Cheers

Gary: Depends how desperate you want them, I may not upgrade for a couple of months! Can bare you in mind if you like, pm you when i do it?

I have a set of callipers with carriers also have hel braided lines, brembo max 312 discs and ds2500 pads all for £120 pm me if ur interested would have to collect or arrange courier

Yep, still on the car 6 years later :grinning:. Got your PM & replied!

I have done the 312mm swap and its an improvement over stock on road but put it around a track and you soon realise how average it is, did the job but could be better.