ABS light. what light??

wsdizzys3

Reaction score
Basically when I turn my ignition on I dont get my abs light come on. I have run a scan with vcds and p1851 came up and 2 front abs sensor's. I originally thought my master cylinder had gone but upon further inspection someone had filled the brake fluid up with what looked like atf fluid. So I went to run a abs pump bleed and it worked evan though that error code came up. I checked all fuses and there all fine but the light still doesn't illuminate evan under a instrument cluster test through vag com. Are these abs bulbs prone to failure? ?

Bulb may have been removed because of the faults?
Instrument panel is easy enough to remove to check the bulb

Checked inside the cluster looks like its a neon/led fixed to the board. There was 3 removable bulbs 2 missing but could see they wasnt abs anyway.

Some unscrupulous person may have done the old electrical tape on the inside of the cluster trick to mask the light being on.

You will probably find that they haven't put ATF fluid in, the brake fluid just hasn't been changed in ages and has gone dirty.

Clear the faults, drive the car and rescan to see what returns.

I did think that aswell but ive have to cluster in bits and couldnt see nothing. I tried another set of clocks we had of another a3 lights came on but obviously wouldnt start the car and because the part numbers were different I dont think I can code them in. Can someone with a 98 a3 1.8 sport please tell me if ther ABS buls is removable or is it part of the circuit board ??

I did think that aswell but ive have to cluster in bits and couldnt see nothing. I tried another set of clocks we had of another a3 lights came on but obviously wouldnt start the car and because the part numbers were different I dont think I can code them in. Can someone with a 98 a3 1.8 sport please tell me if ther ABS buls is removable or is it part of the circuit board ??

Its a surface mount LED, need to be confident with a fine tip soldering iron to change it.

They don't usually fail, I suspect some one has sabotaged it with electrical tape as above or deliberately damaged the track on the PCB.

is this the UKNSI part?

Not sure lol how do you find that out. Looks like im gonna be getting new clocks or buying a fine tip soldering iron. Does the part numbers have to match or can I use a 140mph clock instead of a 160mph clock. It plugs in pits in and lights up ok just not sure if im codimg it right or if its just not allowing me to code it because its the wrong part code

Shine a torch where the led would shine as you can put tape between the speedo mat and the clocks itself.

Also try putting the clocks back in so you can see the bulb illuminate and if it doesnt push on the led to see if there is a dry joint

Shine a torch where the led would shine as you can put tape between the speedo mat and the clocks itself.

Also try putting the clocks back in so you can see the bulb illuminate and if it doesnt push on the led to see if there is a dry joint

Tried it mate had the clocks apart. Done a instrument panel test on vcds nothink. Might just have to get new clocks

Are you near Portsmouth as I could solder a new led in if its that.

If you were local and had the dash out with new led nothing.

Reactions: westcoast a3