Castrol SLX Longlife III

rgb8888

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 2002/02 S3 on Variable Servicing and understand from posts that I need 503.01 coded oil. I dropped into my dealer today just to check what they would put in at its next service as thought this would steer my decision over the purchase of Longtec 0w-30 or Mobil 1 (0w-40).

The parts manager said that next time it is serviced they will use the new Castrol SLX Longlife III rather than original Longtec or (Castrol Edge 0w-30 as it seems to now be called in Castrol's rebranding exercise)

I am told that it is a better oil and fine to mix with the existing 503.01 in there at the moment.

Could someone with a technical knowledge please advise if this is okay?
It is 5W-30, VW 504.00 / 507.00

Thanks

RGB

this oil is fine, as the new Longlife III 504/ 507 covers 503.01

as above.

I lost count of the Castrol name changes, longlife this, edge that

for an S3 on AVS

just make sure its VW503.01 (the old spec, which is still about)

or the new spec VW504.00 which now covers the above.

I'm sure I read that the new Castrol Edge supersedes all of the current Longlife oils?!

My local dealer now uses Mobil 1 and has been doing for a while instead of Castrol?

Thanks for replies

Couldn't find a great deal searching on the web

I was told by Audi that this new Longlife III is new and improved and it was same price (and they had both in stock) ..... so at least I will have the same top up as what they intend putting in at next service.

MadVW and PaulS3 you mention that 504.00 "covers" 503.01. -> what does the 504.00 bit mean. Is it quality / grade, and therefore does this suggest better?

Cheers

RGB

I have no idea what all the numbers mean, but i do know that certain engines PD diesels, avs petrol etc etc have strict rules on what oil is considered suitable by VAG for use in their engines.

Lubricants that have been tested and certified for use in particular applications are then marked as being VAG xxx.xx

The trouble is that the numbers are completely arbitrary, and don't refer to a scale of quality or grade as such.

In a recent change, VAG started using the new numbers 504 and 507 - and used them as an umbrella for supporting most previous oil requirements. Over time, there will be new oils though, and they will have subsequent meaningless numbers assigned again...

Just received response from Castrol Techical - what's interesting is it mentions SLX Long Life II which I thought we were not suposed to use!?!

Hi Robin

The latest VW/Audi specification is 504 00/507 00 - this is backwards compatible with the previous specifications and is suitable for use in all Audi models on both fixed and variable servicing regimes. The previous grade would have been Castrol SLX Long Life II ( 503 00/506 00/506 01 )

It is widely used in the trade now and comes under the workshop name of Castrol SLX Long Life III. The retail grade name is Castrol EDGE 5W-30 and is avaiable from retail outlets such as Halfords.

You can use the EDGE 5W-30 for top up and refill.

Kind regards

Andy Griffin
Castrol Technical Support

nope, you right, your not supposed to use slx longlife ii as its not 503.01

All
Just for completeness to this thread, if interested, please see my email to and from Castrol to confirm the situation.
It seems the new Longlife III is fine so I can can pour away it seems!
Cheers
RGB

Good morning Robin,
The 503.01 spec is carried by the SLX Longtec 0W-30 and the SLX LL111(Now 504.00) but not Longlife 11.
As my colleague has suggested, the EDGE Product 5W-30 would be the one recommended for your Audi
SLX Longtec is being phased out in favour of the Edge product but if you can still locate the SLX Longtec then this will also be sufficient.
Hope this clarifies the situation.
Regards
Barry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Re: Audi S3 Oil

Hi Andy

Thanks for your reply.

I have been told on the Audi Forums that SLX Longlife II was not sufficient for the Audi S3 225 BHP and therefore the Longtec 0W-30 was the one to use as it is 503.01.

I went into Audi to get this Longtec but they recomended Longlife III as its replacement.

Is this therefore better than the 503.01 coded oil as Longlife II is not I think as good

Regards

Robin

Aaaaaaaaaaagh! I'm still confused. Easily done, I know.

I'm on the fixed 10,000 mile service option (210bhp S3) and from my understanding I should be using the 5W-30 Castrol Edge oil rather than the 0W-30 stuff as 5W-30 now supersedes Longlife II, which used to be the recommended oil for fixed servicing but not variable? From reading around, the fixed service oil is covered by the 503 code and the variable is 503.01, which is 0W-30?

Hope that makes sense... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The latest VW/Audi specification is 504 00/507 00 - this is backwards compatible with the previous specifications and is suitable for use in all Audi models on both fixed and variable servicing regimes. The previous grade would have been Castrol SLX Long Life II ( 503 00/506 00/506 01 )

It is widely used in the trade now and comes under the workshop name of Castrol SLX Long Life III. The retail grade name is Castrol EDGE 5W-30 and is avaiable from retail outlets such as Halfords.

[/ QUOTE ]

Presume as stated above, this Long Life 3 is for both PD diesels and Petrols whether fixed or AVS.

Or am i just fik, lol.

What I really wanted to clarify I guess, is why are they (Castol) telling rgb8888 to use the 503 replacement oil, 5W-30, when rgb8888 is on a variable service? Surely they should have said to use the 0W-30 oil, because according to Castol's website this grade of oil replaces 503.01, which is the variable service oil code???? Or am I getting completely confused?! LOL

as the slug said long life 3 is the replacement of all previous oil's , petrol,PD,fixed or avs, you now just use long life 3

Fair enough, but still think its a bit confusing on the Castrol website to basically say that their new Castrol Edge 0W-30 replaces 503.01, and at the same time say the new 5W-30 (504) replaces all previous oils. That then gives you a choice of two oils and it would be nice to know which one is better? Am I just being an **** now...