Help me with this strange instrument cluster...

dunny

Reaction score
Hi all, im new here and have just recently brought my first Audi. Its a 1.9tdi A3.

Firstly, i am not a forum noob and have searched but could not find the information i needed.

After purchasing the car i noticed that the temp sensor went straight to 120 and was stuck there even when i turned off the engine. Even when i move it back to 60 and turn the engine on it goes straight to 120.

After using the climate control it does appear that i need a new thermostat which is annoying but doesn't really solve the problem of the instrument.

Secondly i went to fix a few dead pixels as the guide shows but my instrument cluster appears to be different to every other picture ive found, its sort of a mixture of pre and facelift as shown. There is two screens in the centre so not entirely facelift but not prefacelift either. Could i possible do a facelift swap?

DSC_0001.jpg

And finally on the back it only has a green and blue plug unlike the facelift which has a green as well. However, there is a slot for another plug that appears to be missing, what is that?

12b58542-9a3d-4499-ad06-934952bee1eb.jpg

Sorry to go on, and thanks in advanced for any help!

The instrument clusters on 8L A3s are quite crap, at least on the facelift ones. I have a similar problem with the fuel gauge: when the fuel tank is close to empty, the dial shows that I still have half of tank left. And sometimes it does this

I got used with the problem and didn't bothered anymore to fix it.

That connector is for a Radio-Clock module, like this one. It is used to adjust the clock automatically after a radio tower from Germany that transmits the exact time from an atomic clock. I believe this wasn't available on 8L A3s from UK.

Last edited by a moderator:
how odd is that issue!! My only problem is i want to sort it incase my engine isnt getting warm enough.

Right im a bit confused, ive ran the climatronic hidden menu but which one is it to find the temperature im after? Some sources say 49c and others say 51c. If its 49c then my engine isnt getting hot enough if its 51c then its perfectly fine.

Dont want to be replacing things that aren't broken.

Confused!

49 on mine gets to around 100c when up to temp and 51 gets to 75c and stays there.

Mines the opposite, 49c goes between 70-75 and 51c goes between 90-100

Not sure what to think!?

take it apart and re solder the connectors where the dials are, they are hand soldered in production and a dry joint will cause it to jump around

take it apart and re solder the connectors where the dials are, they are hand soldered in production and a dry joint will cause it to jump around
OK I will probably give that a go. It doesn't jump around per se it's just goes to 120 and stay there even when manually turned back to 60.