What turbo should I use for 350 - 400hp target?

dj_rzn

Reaction score
Still getting parts for my little S3 8l project car, and I am still undecided what turbo should I get for 350 - 400hp ?

I have read a lot about hybrid K04 but it can't push more than 300 - 320hp, I don't want to change all the pipes and everything, is there any bolt-on solution? Is the K04 from 2.0TFSI capable of producing 350hp?

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Thanks badger, I see you have some interesting things on ebay that I will definitely need, stay in touch and thanks for the support!

or even the GTX2860R

Gtx3071r will walk it with plenty left in reserve.....i know where one will be up for sale lol ;)

Are any of these turbos bolt-on?

No such thing as a 'bolt on' 400hp turbo dude... anything beyond the K04 requires custom work of some description.... off the shelf bolt on mods don't support power levels much beyond std K04's let alone larger framed turbo's...

So called big turbo 'kits' are mostly rubbish... all the ons I have seen use crap water and oil lines and supply really cheap hardware... plus don't contain all the supporting stuff needed for this power level

There are a few big turbo threads on here (mine included) that are worth a read to get you up to speed with what to expect

<tuffty/>

Is there any point in getting a stroker kit? Really taking it into consideration since I still have to change the internal parts of the engine.

Thanks for your support!

Yes... going stroker was one of the best things I did on my build... makes loads of difference to off boost driveability and helps spool too...

<tuffty/>

What stroker kit would you recommend?

Ermm... I guess the integrated engineering ones... I just bought a crank from TPS, IE drilled rods and CP pistons... biggest issue with the IE one is its shipped from the states and the crank is massively heavy... not sure how this affects the postage costs... might be cheaper to get a crank from TPS (around £550 ish iirc) and get the rest of the bits from IE...

If you want to get the stuff from the UK then Bill at Badger5 can supply the rods, pistons and bearings etc

<tuffty/>

I am sure Stacey has an ad in the classifieds somewhere so you can discuss it rather than on this thread :)

<tuffty/>

Oops is a bit of a shameless plug lol

Need to actually get round to putting it up for sale officially

Won't pollute any more ;)

Sorry haven't really been all that helpful at all :(

In all seriousness if you are 100% certain you haven't got any incline you'll want more at a later date I'd go TFSI turbo setup like prawn

But if there's the slightest bit of doubt I'd get something else that'll either leave headroom for more or allow a turbo swap out like a T3 or v-band setup of some description then can always upgrade easier at a later date and save a fortune in the long run

Wish I hadn't have kidded myself in the first place and gone all out or at least a gt28 in a swappable framework so the rest of the hardware would have remained each time :)

Reactions: snowy