Modding Advice Please

bobberuk

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a 1999 A3 1.9 TDi (AHF), stock standard. Bodywork is getting a little tired and i'm looking at a full respray in the next 12 months, but want to do some mods before I go ahead.

I want to know about compatibility with the A3 8L facelift. I'm looking to replace headlights and front bumper, can I upgrade to S3 lights and bumper without much buggering about, or is there more to it?

I'm also looking for some advice re. my engine. It's had a new clutch & replacement gearbox in the last 12 months, but the engine has just over 220K on it, and i'm wondering if there is anything that I can do in terms of a major overhaul to ensure I still have a lot of life in it. Would be good to get some extra performance out of it too.

Finally, I've been looking at a couple of posts re. a din2 dashboard conversion, but nothing for early A3 models. Is this possible?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers all :)

Bob

Last edited:
i got some cheap facelift head lights (with pre-facelift wiring and 6K HID kit) and facelift rear lights.

PM if interested. not that far from you either.

I've got a 1999 A3 1.9 TDi (AHF)

I want to know about compatibility with the A3 8L facelift. I'm looking to replace headlights and front bumper, can I upgrade to S3 lights and bumper without much buggering about, or is there more to it?

I'm also looking for some advice re. my engine. It's had a new clutch & replacement gearbox in the last 12 months, but the engine has just over 220K on it, and i'm wondering if there is anything that I can do in terms of a major overhaul to ensure I still have a lot of life in it. Would be good to get some extra performance out of it too.

You have what is probably the most reliable engine VAG ever built and I would have no hesitation tuning it up at that mileage.

A Revo remap would be my choice on that engine which will give you around 145 - 150bhp and a nice torque increase.

The weakest part of the setup will probably be the VNT15 turbo at that mileage, may be worth checking for shaft play before tuning her up.

As your engine runs very air rich you can also fit a set of larger nozzles to your injectors, no remap required and a gain of around 20bhp. Although personally I would go down the remap route myself.

They do have cams made of cheese tho as Stacey and i found.

see staceys thread for more details.

I offered him a replacement cam but when i opened the engine i had i found the same. Coincidence? Or common, who knows.

They do have cams made of cheese tho as Stacey and i found.

see staceys thread for more details.

I offered him a replacement cam but when i opened the engine i had i found the same. Coincidence? Or common, who knows.

Cams are fine in these, it is not a PD engine.

The PD cams were never 'soft' not more so than any other VAG engine anyhow. It is the design that is the problem. To make space for the rocker lobes that compress the unit injectors the lobes for the valves were made narrower and therefore wear quicker. The problem manifests more in the 150bhp engines as they are more revvy than the PD 100, 115 & 130 and tend spend longer at higher RPM and are driven harder.

Also its usually the followers that wear first and then knock the cam out. Probably got some pics somewhere of the internals in a few clapped ones, will see if I can find them...

Reactions: jojo
Thanks guys, this is really helpful! I do have a little bit of a whistle from the turbo, so it might be prudent to think about replacing the turbo before it causes a problem.

How easy is it to change the nozzles on the injectors? Can someone point me towards the nozzles I need?

It seems if I do this combined with the remap, it could provide a big increase in power... awesome!

Thanks again guys!

Bob :)

Thanks guys, this is really helpful! I do have a little bit of a whistle from the turbo, so it might be prudent to think about replacing the turbo before it causes a problem.

How easy is it to change the nozzles on the injectors? Can someone point me towards the nozzles I need?

It seems if I do this combined with the remap, it could provide a big increase in power... awesome!

Thanks again guys!

Bob :)

TDI Club is a really good USA forum for VAG diesel tuning. Your engine had a much longer run in the states and there are some really knowledgeable guys on there and everything you can imagine has been tried.

I think the pp520, 0.216 nozzles are the next size up from yours, but I would get on that forum and double check. I have more experience with the PD engines than the your VE diesel.

Oh and the VNT turbos do whistle a fair bit anyway, they have no waste gate and are noisy little things.
I you want to get even more power the VNT17-B turbo off the PD150 bolts straight on :yes:

Last edited: