front shock removal problem

kryton

Reaction score
Hi all ,
thought i would install my coilovers today on my 1.8t sport. Trouble is when i was attempting to slacken the nuts on the top of the struts ( inside engine bay), the bit where you insert the allen head to hold them still,while you undo the 21mm nut ( I was using a modified socket, ground flat at the sides to hold with a spanner and a hex bit socket ) The centre hex bit of the strut has split so now wont hold my hex socket tight.
Basically I need a new method of loosening these, has anyone else had this bit split and been unable to loosen the nut?
cheers Kryt

As you're installing new struts, and assuming you don't want to save the old shocks, can you grab the strut with a pair of grips from in the wheel arch to hold it still whilst you attack the nut?

Failing that, an impact driver and long socket should move it, and without having to hold the strut, but depends if you have access to one.

Hi all ,
thought i would install my coilovers today on my 1.8t sport. Trouble is when i was attempting to slacken the nuts on the top of the struts ( inside engine bay), the bit where you insert the allen head to hold them still,while you undo the 21mm nut ( I was using a modified socket, ground flat at the sides to hold with a spanner and a hex bit socket ) The centre hex bit of the strut has split so now wont hold my hex socket tight.
Basically I need a new method of loosening these, has anyone else had this bit split and been unable to loosen the nut?
cheers Kryt

Impact gun is usually the only way if you round the middle out.

Drop me a txt if you wana pop over and I will gun them loose for you!

Last edited:
Reactions: sportquattro and kryton