1999 A3 external leak..

HAskham

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1999 Audi A3 1.6.. Brilliant car, drives perfectly and have noticed no problems with it, has 135K on the clock.. Although I have noticed a patch underneath my car whenever it is parked.. I have had a look in the engine bay and I can't see very much but underneath the car I can see what looks like oil on the bottom of the gearbox.. The oil level is fine and I haven't needed to top it up, same with coolant. Any ideas on what this could be, if its anything to worry about immediately?

Thanks guys :yes:

If you can get the car on stands and clean all the oil and grime off you can get to. Then re check the next day and you might see where it's coming from.

I have two axle stands so I shall do that on my day off next week.. Hopefully find out the source of it, it always seems to be dripping as if I park my car for 20 minutes or so there is a small patch on the floor.. strange

I have out a thread up to I've got pretty much the same problem! Uses no oil between changes but I have a drip that accumulates on the oil return pipe at the sump gave it all a good clean when I serviced it yesterday and it's definitely higher up. So I'll investigate when I swap my tip on the weekend and post what I find. Tuffty mentioned the cam cover gasket so might be worth a look.
Such a minor drip not enough to cause a problem but annoying knowing it's there!

Oh really? At least it isn't just me then, I need to give mine a clean to try find out where it is coming from, hard to find the time though but very frustrating not knowing what it is and seeing a patch where ever you ****** park lol! Let me know how you get on mate!