1998 A3 aftermarket headunit problems

Jake949

Reaction score
hi guys,
this has probably been answered a few times, but i have been searching and cant seem to find the answer.
my 1998 A3 1.8T has the non bose sound system, it does have the nokia sub and amp in the boot. bought the car without a stereo fitted, but it does have an adapter, however when i plug my jvc head unit in, only the passenger side front speaker works. the stereo works fine as ive tried it in another car. so my guess is i need a different adapter cable.
bit confused though, there are 3 multi coloured blocks connected together with wires going into all of them, but only wires coming from one on the adapter. Are these not for the speakers or am i completely wrong?
been looking for an adapter but confused as to which one to get as most are for the bose system. could someone please post a link or photo of what my lead should look like?
if you need anymore info ill try my best to help.
thanks.

u have half bose i think m8, u need what i just bought, read my double din thread further down. pc-404 i think it's called mine cost 16 quid from halffords

i tried that lead from halfords yesterday and had the same problem, my head unit only has 1 set of pre outs but the lead had 2, and no matter which ones i plugged in only the front speaker worked.

looks like i have the pc9-401 lead, but mine doesnt seem to have to blue remote cable off the red plug, could this be why my speakers dont work?
if ive read correctly the rear speakers are powered from the amp in the boot, which if the amp isnt getting the remote to switch it on they wont work?
so am i right in thinking it needs the amp remote to work?

Bypass it. On the new adapter you have a purple & purple/ black wire and green & green/black wire. One set for rear left and one set for rear right. Cut them and join onto your OEM loom. Can't remember what colour they are sorry.

Don't really want to cut the existing loom if I'm honest, less to go wrong I'd rather buy the proper lead. Am I right in thinking the missing remote cable off the adapter is causing the problems?

the correct kit is pc9-404/pc9-410 m8, this will give u the 3 connector peice with a blue remore from the bigger block (half bose) u add that to ur remote on ur stereo and all will be good m8

also as it's on Aux rear u only need to rears plugged in.

I'll try it again tomorrow, I did try it last week but it didn't work! And on the box it said Bose but I can't see the wiring being different just the make of equipment? Does only 1 of the 3 coloured blocks get used then? As there are only wires coming off one part of the red connector block opposed to the 3 blocks that get plugged in. Thanks.

pc9-404 is for half bose, it's different, dont worry to much about the extra wires, i wired mine up the other day myself and i didnt worrie about the extra m8. u'll have a power plug, a 2nd plug the same size (thats front speakers) and a 3rd plug bigger which is half bose and has a small amp running it (hence the remote needed) and thats for your rear speakers and the Rear Aux leads to the rear on the stereo and should be good.

Ok mate I'll have a go, the one that's in halfords has 4 iso plugs, I take it I plug the 2 rear ones into the back of the stereo? And just connect the remote wire up and it should work?

thats how i would do it, if i could find a drawing of it i would post it up...

I'll give it go thanks mate. Think I need a new speaker in drivers door because it doesn't work even though the passenger one does. But if this lead sorts the problem with the rears it won't be as much of an issue. I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow

Yo Jake - How did you get on?

I have a Parrot Asteroid which I'm trying to fit into my (I think) Half-Amped 2000 S3 and been searching for weeks trying to figure out which lead I need to get! It sounds like we have a similar stock setup.

All that was missing from the cable I had was a wire for the remote switching of the amp, as soon as I connected a cable up between the headunit and the lead its been working fine. Maybe you have the wrong lead?