Cant select 1st 3rd, or 5th

bigdavevw

Reaction score
Hi guys, today when i jumped into my car (a3 t sport 2001) i couldn,t select 1st 3rd or 5th without some serious trouble. I have had trouble getting it into 1st before but it didn,t happen that often.

Can someone help me please

Selector fork broken by the sounds... needs the box stripping for a repair...

<tuffty/>

can't select 1st, 3rd or 5th? What about 2nd and 4th? Just the gears on the forward throw of the gearstick that you can't select....could it be a shift tower or linkage problem?

2nd and 4th select no probs. I,m thinking linkage rather than internal gearbox fault. There are no strange noises coming from it, and when i eventually do manage to get the car into 5th, there are no noises then

can you get reverse?

If it's just an issue with the gears at the 'forward' position of the stick, I'd suggest the cable may have moved or an end broken or slipped perhaps.

I'd be doing a cable alignment first and checking out the cable ends at the box to see if that cures the issue. It's really easy and takes about 5 minutes. Do a search on gear cable setup method, it's a nice simple job :)

Check all your engine mounts before setting up the linkage.

Have seen the hydro mounts collapse before that has caused the whole lot to move and the cable adjustment go out of whack.

the cables are hard mounted at the shifter, and also onto the box. In theory, a collapsed engine mount shouldn't effect gear selection at all, unless it's almost fallen out all together :laugh:

the cables are hard mounted at the shifter, and also onto the box. In theory, a collapsed engine mount shouldn't effect gear selection at all, unless it's almost fallen out all together :laugh:

In theory yes... but a worn dogbone mount makes it a right pain to get gears when making progress. In practice for some reason it does seem to make a difference!

In theory yes... but a worn dogbone mount makes it a right pain to get gears when making progress. In practice for some reason it does seem to make a difference!

You're probably right! it shouldn't, but I do see where you're coming from :)