Camshaft chain tensioner problem?

tquattro

Reaction score
Hello,

I replaced the camshaft chain tensioner, with a new one, 3weeks ago, because it was rattling and leaking oil.
A couple of days ago I scanned my car for errors and I got this error:
"16396/P0012/000018 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Advance Setpoint not Reached (Over-Retarded) - Intermittent ". I deleted it and checked yesterday if it reappeared... it did, but the "intermittent" is missing now.
Before replacing the tensioner I had no errors and the "check engine" light has not come on yet.

Any idea where the problem could be? Does the ECU need some time to "learn" the new tensioner?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Forgot: Car is Audi A3 1.8T AUM

i had this code after my tensioner were done, i just guessed it was i had it replaced i cleared it and didn't come back

Yeah, the code appears to be gone, it didn't reappeared until now.

Did you replace it with an OE one or one of the cheap ebay jobbers?

<tuffty/>

Not OE, but it wasn't no-name(I think it is Febi, can't remember)

Did you find a solution to your problem? I will be the same code 16396. febi tensioner and the chain has just been replaced ...

I too had this issue not too long ago. My timing belt and water pump were replaced first, and then we did the Cam Chain and Tensioner. It turns out, after doing the Camchain that had put the timing belt out by a few teeth.

You need to make sure that the Cam Chain and Timing are both correct. It was a big job for my mechanic to do, took the best part of the day because everything needed to be checked correctly. This will most likely be the problem I think, because I was also getting the same errors with the exact same chain and tensioner (Febi).