209bhp on dyno after 5000 Euros

• Thread starter imported_andreitentean
  • Start date
I

imported_andreitentean

Let me be the only fool that spends 5000 euros on his S3 and loose 16bhp!

learn from this.

after intaling parts that I have waited mounths to arrive (i am from Romania) I saw on my VDO boost gauge that suddently my BAM S3 is runing 0.7 bar instead of 0.9 that showed in stock configuration.

the car in NOT chipped and has only the next addons:
1.APR downpipe
2.Supersprint RACE exhaust
3.Neuspeed intake kit
4.Samco intake pipe + Samco intercooler pipes
5.very light flywheel from Helix clucth kit
6.very light pulley

ofcourse that in 5000euro I bought some other stuff(rotors,pads,front bumper,..) but ...

so , the other day I dyno the car and it makes 209 bhp and 265 torque. imagine my disapoitment when I saw that, when a freeflow exhaust on my Impreza STI made 39 bhp at the wheels.

PS: the car is in perfect condition. everything is ok. was checked by Audi,vagcom,testers, gurus , everybody.

what to you say about this?

You cant compare a completely different car. jap cars are know for restrictive exhausts (cats specifically). Its been proven time and time again that exahust .etc really dont achieve alot.

Rich

Now I must agree with you , Rich. But leave beside my wrong comparison, what do you say about the main story?

I must say that the first modification on anyone's list is a REMAP or CHIP, best bang for buck in anyone's book /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

AUM,

That is really bad news, especially when you have spent so much money.

Do you trust this rolling road and its operator?

Are you sure you haven't got a boost leak somewhere? Are you 100% sure your MAF is ok? What are the readings in g/s?
Have you performed a throttle body clean and adaptation?

I'm confused like you are, at how a car can loose power like that. Yes, its be said before that exhaust and intake modifications, without a remap (and possibily with remap) make very little difference....but surely they shouldn't reduce power.

Your Neuspeed intake kit, have you got plenty of cold ai going to it? Its possible that on the rollers not enough cold air was being drawn in to the intake, and so it would just be sucking in warm air from the engine. It may have an effect, if temperatures are high.

AL

[ QUOTE ]
AUM,

That is really bad news, especially when you have spent so much money.

Do you trust this rolling road and its operator?

Are you sure you haven't got a boost leak somewhere? Are you 100% sure your MAF is ok? What are the readings in g/s?
Have you performed a throttle body clean and adaptation?

I'm confused like you are, at how a car can loose power like that. Yes, its be said before that exhaust and intake modifications, without a remap (and possibily with remap) make very little difference....but surely they shouldn't reduce power.

Your Neuspeed intake kit, have you got plenty of cold ai going to it? Its possible that on the rollers not enough cold air was being drawn in to the intake, and so it would just be sucking in warm air from the engine. It may have an effect, if temperatures are high.

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

the filter has plenty of cold air because it has 2 extra 70mm aluminium hoses from the bumper.

and a boost leak is out of question because it would be a diference in presure that the ecu should see it.

[ QUOTE ]
I must say that the first modification on anyone's list is a REMAP or CHIP, best bang for buck in anyone's book /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 454 wbhp Impreza STI, a 400bhp EVO9, a 720 bhp project Celica GT4 and what I have learned is that cheap is allways uncompetitive.

I have tried to help the engine breath more easy and then to ask more out of it. was i wrong?

Just to give you a heads up on certain problems that occur withg rolling roads. Does the person who carried out the RR have experience with Audi? I have had bad experiences on RR's.....mainly due to people not setting them up right. My car was remapped by AMD and had a Milltek exhaust with high flow cat and according to certain RR's i only produced the standard 180BHP. Took the car to AMD to be checked and it produced 235BHP with me watching as it did. HUGE difference!!!!!Experience says that a lot has to do with not setting up right and getting the correct airflow whilst testing. It would be good to see the dyno plot and figures if you have them though

I want to post subaru vs lambo gallardo movie to show what my car can do. but , I don't know how to post it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 454 wbhp Impreza STI, a 400bhp EVO9, a 720 bhp project Celica GT4 and what I have learned is that cheap is allways uncompetitive.

I have tried to help the engine breath more easy and then to ask more out of it. was i wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep... breathing seems to be fine on the standard car, people keep the standard airbox for upto 350bhp. All the work you've done should however mean that if you get a custom map that can make use of the mods you've made it should be a bit better, when I get around to sorting my S3 (when bits stop falling off) it'll be suspension, FMIC, exhaust (for noise) then remap.

[ QUOTE ]
Just to give you a heads up on certain problems that occur withg rolling roads. Does the person who carried out the RR have experience with Audi? I have had bad experiences on RR's.....mainly due to people not setting them up right. My car was remapped by AMD and had a Milltek exhaust with high flow cat and according to certain RR's i only produced the standard 180BHP. Took the car to AMD to be checked and it produced 235BHP with me watching as it did. HUGE difference!!!!!Experience says that a lot has to do with not setting up right and getting the correct airflow whilst testing. It would be good to see the dyno plot and figures if you have them though

[/ QUOTE ]

yes , I do trust the guy from RR.
If I were you I wouldn't trust the RR from the same tuner that made the map. do you fell the car more powerfull? if yes, keep in mind that you drive and feel torque , and a big increase in torque is easealy obtaineble due to increased turbo presure but top end power is something else!

I do realise that increased performance at low end can easily be easily be achieved with an increase of boost pressure at lower RPM, but I have had various RR sessions and all have confirmed my BHP output. If the remap had been carried out by some mobile tuning company then I would have my reservations. AMD although are renowned for their applications to Audi and VW. I do not have an aggressive remap, just progressive which will hold about 1 Bar most of the way to redline. Not Impreza power, but enough till I can afford an S4 LOL

Do we know if the car has ever made it's advertised 225 BHP? If the first RR is post these mods and shows 209bhp it's possible the car has never made any more.

With the S3 the air intake and exhaust system is not restrictive, not even with a 1.3-4 bar remap - so there has always been little to gain.

It's possible that the plumbing of the new intake system has resulted in the ECU knocking back the boost - it's possible that the MAF is damaged / contaminated. In any case, I wouldn't expect the car to make any more power with the above modifications.

My 1.8T reduced the boost by 0.1bar when I fitted the downpipe and another 0.1bar when I fitted the Cat back.

AUM
Your car has to be properly reprogrammed in order to gain power

[ QUOTE ]
It's possible that the plumbing of the new intake system has resulted in the ECU knocking back the boost .

[/ QUOTE ]

David, what do you mean buy plumbing?

I my opinion the car has 209 bhp because of the turbo presure that is 0.2bar lower than stock. we don't know the standard bhp figure on the RR.