Novice engine swap...

andy1571

Reaction score
Hey guys, so 8-9 months ago i bought my car...didnt know what an n249 doohikery was for, or an sai googly me watsit, anyhow after many long nights of research and learning ive just swapped out the engine on my 1999 s3, i finally managed to kill it a few weeks back. blew the turbo, had no oil pressure and compression tests didnt look good...i had a full apy engine complete with the turbo on my garage floor and as im currently planning a big turbo build anyway i thought screw it, lets get dirty and see what youve learned, anyhow heres the results please let me know what you guys think.....be kind :)

Last edited:
Reactions: s3dave
Here she is with the front removed, driveshaftes ect

20140313 1249161

As you can see i was a bit anal labeling everything with paper tape as i went... this proved to be a good move later putting it all back together again, also i tried to put every bolt nut ect back into its place when i removed them or grouping them and putiing them in bags as i had learned from previous attempts a big pile of nuts and bolts is no laughing matter :D

Last edited:
Apy engine from the floor of my garage(very dirty!!)
20140328 1916511

Now not so much :)

20140325 172405120140328 1916441

As you can see i started to get carried away with cleaning....
20140325 172342120140325 1723461

I swapped out the hard water pipe as it was slightly differnet in mine which involved removing the intake manifold and knock sesor to wiggle it out and a few other bits, removed the turbo ect to clean and check all the pipes and generally swapped and changed parts to get the best from the 2 blocks

Last edited:
And here it is back in the car :)
20140416 1013131

So far shes running great, the only problems ive encountered is an intermittent knock sensor issue in VCDS... wrong torque i didnt realise and just tightened it on but easily fixed, a split cv boot on the drivers side while man handling, and i think i missed a clip on the power steering hard pipe just behind the driveshaft passenger side, il post a pic later

2014 04 15 1434451

Last edited:
Reactions: Essflee
Good work mate... nice when it all comes together huh :)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: andy1571
Thanks tuffty,

it was a bit of a ball ache at times not having a ramp ect but all in all I enjoyed doing it and learned a lot along the way so win win

Thanks tuffty,

it was a bit of a ball ache at times not having a ramp ect but all in all I enjoyed doing it and learned a lot along the way so win win

Well done! And with the tape and labelling is how I'm currently doing my Volvo p1800 but I've got to strip everything as the body is going to be acid dipped and re sprayed !

Nice work though mate.

Sean

Well done! And with the tape and labelling is how I'm currently doing my Volvo p1800 but I've got to strip everything as the body is going to be acid dipped and re sprayed !

Nice work though mate.

Sean

cool, the saint car?

any piccies?

Nice work though mate.

Sean

Thanks shaun,

Sounds like you have quite a task ahead of you there with the volvo, im thinking you'll need more tape than I did ;)

Reactions: s33nyboy12
Nice work!! :) you should rebuild the old engine into a BT setup then swap it all over :p I would love to if I had a garage with space!

Cheers gops... thats kinda what im working towards but ive a way to go yet, As for the garage i wouldnt have one if it wernt for the motor

Good effort mate, iv been doing this this evening and just come inside lol! hopefully it will all be worth it.

Reactions: andy1571
Haha, im glad its over with for now, though i still have to fiddle around with an awkward clip and fix the cv boot before it gets any worse. all worth it in the end though...

Cheers dave, tie bars were spot on by the way thanks

Reactions: s3dave