Catch can...

Gmac

Reaction score
So had a go at sorting out the catch can today, it was in it at some point but the previous owner took it out, and sort of bodged what was left.... I've gone from this which was simply two hoses, one from oil filter and one frame head gasket to a t-piece with a wee filter on it!...

f15a2644b7265437d56652b4388c61ec_zpse458d65a.jpg

To this...which has the catch can on the side of the battery, so comments welcome, not perfect by any stretch but better than what was there, did the piping and then realised that the 5v cover doesn't fit on very well. Comments welcome....

CA641082-0F30-4B30-9489-742E4DBE28A2_zpsfvq8hea5.jpg

1. It'll stink the cabin out. 2 I reckon it'll **** oil residue out.

1. It'll stink the cabin out. 2 I reckon it'll **** oil residue out.

yeh I've read about the cabin getting smelly, I will get a better solution when I get some more piping and fixings.

why do you think it will **** oil residue out? I thought that was the idea of the baffles in the can?

@QK my PCV system had been deleted and bodged hence why it's like it was/is now.

general question, do the guys that run these catch cans all have it venting to atmosphere and if so, are you all routing it rearwards along the brakes pipes? And have you got a wee filter on the end of the piping? Or are some venting just below engine, again with a filter on the end?

or are most routing it back to to the TIP?

ive read through the how to link on the PCV by the way. More wondering what most have done as their fix/solution?

general question, do the guys that run these catch cans all have it venting to atmosphere and if so, are you all routing it rearwards along the brakes pipes? And have you got a wee filter on the end of the piping? Or are some venting just below engine, again with a filter on the end?

When I get round to doing mine I will be venting to the atmosphere and there will not be a wee filter on the end as that would need changing as regularly as you'd empty the catch can- which to me defeats the point of venting to air as I'm mainly venting to air so I don't have to check the catch can or have to find somewhere to mount it.

Reactions: WorkInProgress
When I get round to doing mine I will be venting to the atmosphere and there will not be a wee filter on the end as that would need changing as regularly as you'd empty the catch can- which to me defeats the point of venting to air as I'm mainly venting to air so I don't have to check the catch can or have to find somewhere to mount it.

So if you are venting to air, do you mean that there will be a pipe running off the catch can with an open end? And where are you planning running the pipe?

So if you are venting to air, do you mean that there will be a pipe running off the catch can with an open end? And where are you planning running the pipe?

I won't be using a catch can at all fella....I will just vent it straight to air using silicone hoses, a T piece and a bung in the TIP IIRC.

I won't be using a catch can at all fella....I will just vent it straight to air using silicone hoses, a T piece and a bung in the TIP IIRC.

I just love riding on peoples oil residue left on the road on my motorbike... Cheers ;)

Reactions: hoffmanvp3
I have the same set up as you at the moment, I don't really notice the smell in the cabin unless I'm stuck in traffic so it is staying like it at the moment. I do plan to run a pipe under the car at some point though. I do get a small amount of residue out of the filter, after 3000 miles i can see a few specks of oil on the can

I have the same set up as you at the moment, I don't really notice the smell in the cabin unless I'm stuck in traffic so it is staying like it at the moment. I do plan to run a pipe under the car at some point though. I do get a small amount of residue out of the filter, after 3000 miles i can see a few specks of oil on the can

Ah ok, that's good to hear! I very rarely sit in traffic, mostly a and B road commute in no traffic about 25 mins.

Smell is shocking. Because I used that can and its crap but also depending how old the car is, miles etc, it maybe a heavy breather and **** out the filter, pressure dependent. I just wouldnt vent under the engine bay put it that way. Mine is vented under the rear wheels.

My can is completely different, was a hand made one with 19mm inlets, dont know if that will make much difference but worth running it for a few weeks and seeing what you think, if it stinks then order a few meters of hose and run it under the car.

And if running it to the rear of the car what are folks putting on the end of the pipe, and are you guys using 19mm all the way rear or reducing it before it goes back?

@dani... Thanks, appreciate the advice, sounds like I need to keep a good eye on the can and contents then! Regular empties, til I sort out the routing.

And if running it to the rear of the car what are folks putting on the end of the pipe, and are you guys using 19mm all the way rear or reducing it before it goes back

I did this at the weekend, have done the same as kwistof says, no can and have run the hose under the car, venting at the back wheels, used 19mm all the way. Hope this helps?

Can those who have emptied their catch can give an example of what comes out? Emptied mine the other day and not sure if it's right or not.

I did this at the weekend, have done the same as kwistof says, no can and have run the hose under the car, venting at the back wheels, used 19mm all the way. Hope this helps?

Anything on the end of the pipe? Ie a wee filter or just an open end?

i was under the impression that these pipes were pressurized and venting them will introduce a boost leak?

Thanks lavis, mine was like liquid gold and stunk of petrolly-oil and there was a lot. No milkiness tho.

When emptying the catch tank I always wear disposable gloves the smell lingers on your hands for days after it's nasty lol