EM TuningAH Fabrications
    2nd Gear

Status

Aircon Compressor failed :(

Hi

My 99' S3 aircon no longer works, I was told before I bought the car that the bearings were failing on the compresser, now the clutch no longer engages.
    To buy this part from Audi is very expensive, I've found a place that sells them slightly cheaper and I think a second hand one would be a waste of time.

Does anyone know the part number?

The part number I have from Audi does not seem to match up [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Drift King!

Status

Re: Aircon Compressor failed :(

Silly question I know, but how do you know it doesn't work?

The compressor clutch won't engage if the outside temps are below 5 degrees, so the ice symbol won't come up, but if you have tested the mechanism by another means, disregard what I have just typed.

1st Gear

Status

Sorry for hi-jacking, but jojo, this may explain something that was baffling me.. my randomly working air con! Someone i know with a 1.8T said they defrost their windscreen with the air con in the morning, however whenever i try the air con wont come on, the ice symbol flashes up, and goes. Is this because of the reason you stated above? i still don't understand how he manages to defrost his windows but my wont. Cheers

Ross

...Watching you!

Status

my AC Compressor is screwed...when it engages, i sends horrendous vibrations through the car...not sure if its ceased or what but its fooked either way! lol

Rich

Numptie of the highest order

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    my AC Compressor is screwed...when it engages, i sends horrendous vibrations through the car...not sure if its ceased or what but its fooked either way! lol

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Your car sounds like its heading the way of mine Rich, I finally got mine over to Fontain this morning to get the steering sorted. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif[/img]

...Watching you!

Status

Lol..i hope not!! hahaha. My steering doesnt seem to be getting much worse, but will need sorting at some point in the not to distant future!

Rich

2nd Gear

Status

Well it was making noises from the comp, but now the clutch does not even engage, problem is not getting the work done by audi you don't know what compressor it has, as the same one from other Vags cars will fit.
    Just hoping I can see a part number without having to take it off [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Not too bothered about the aircon but if I don't have it fixed now I never will, black with black leather will get toasty in summer too [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

2nd Gear

Status

Arrrr just read this

The compressor clutch won't engage if the outside temps are below 5 degrees, so the ice symbol won't come up, but if you have tested the mechanism by another means, disregard what I have just typed.

Dam it's too cold to test, I still can't see it working without making a noise though, any ideas what the part numbder may be?

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]
    Same here... mine makes a horible grinding noise when on... for the time being I'll just keep it off.

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]
    Same here... mine makes a horible grinding noise when on... for the time being I'll just keep it off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've disconnected the plug from it too...but the bloody thing still engages when i accidentally turn it on.

Rich

2nd Gear

Status

Yeah I thought about trying to find a more permanent solution rather than turning it off every time.

6th Gear

Status

drive belt off of model without aircon LOL

1st Gear

Status

S3 Drift King!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sorry for hi-jacking, but jojo, this may explain something that was baffling me.. my randomly working air con! Someone i know with a 1.8T said they defrost their windscreen with the air con in the morning, however whenever i try the air con wont come on, the ice symbol flashes up, and goes. Is this because of the reason you stated above? i still don't understand how he manages to defrost his windows but my wont. Cheers

Ross

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, below 5 degrees outside, the compressor won't engage, as it will freeze it solid if it did. You will still be able to defrost the windscreen with the compressor off, the air would be cold enough outside at 5degrees or less, to have any moisture in it. Hope that helps. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

HTC
    6th Gear

Status

BTW you can replace the clutch mech separately to the compressor. Still fookin' expensive brand new (200), but if you get one from a breakers it'll be cheap and you don't need to open the refrigerant circuit.

2nd Gear

Status

Thanks for the info, need to have a look when it's better weather, need a part number and go from there, not sure if its the comp or the clutch failed atm [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Silly question , does this contain teh clutch too?

http://cgi.ebay.de/airco-compressor-Audi...1QQcmdZViewItem

HTC
    6th Gear

Status

Yeah, if its got the pulley on the end it will have the clutch, which that one has.

2nd Gear

Status

Thanks!