S3 Smoking Blue

GOLF-MK3-GTI

Reaction score
Last week i picked up my 3rd S3, only bought it as i picked it up cheap.
The car is a 2000 prefacelift. Engine code should be APY, however at some point in its life the engine has been changed. The new engine code is AUM thats already in the car, which i believe is out of the GOLF MK4.

The car smokes blue on idle, when driving it around there is no smoke and when turbo is spooling there is no smoke. It doesn't eat oil or coolant either.

I've been advised that it could be stem seals, but surely if it were them it should smoke blue constant and reduce oil level.

What are your thoughts guys?

It could be the valve stem seals, but it wouldnt be there all the time, it is usually more noticable when the car is sat idling and you take off.

Mine was stem seals and guides. Did exactly as yours is. I was told it doesnt take a lot of burning oil to appera blue. The biggest problem is the 1.8t creates a lot of condensation. So it looks like really bad smoke when it isnt.

If it is a complete AUM engine then it will have the inferior 19mm crack rods in :(

Check the the engine number on the block to see if its starts AUM or APY as it could have just been a head swap

I would also try a compression test and leak test too..

<tuffty/>