Chris NottJMB Retrofits
    6th Gear

Status

cylinder 1 misfire error and poor running

Hi guys,

I removed my injectors the other day to temporarily fit them in another car, which it turned out they werent needed. When i was removing them, some / all of the fuel rail petrol dripped into one of the cylinders (furthest left if standing in front of the car). All happened quite quickly to do anything about but thought it would just evaporate or burn off...

A day later, i refitted the injectors and the car spluttered to a start but was fine once the fuel rail had filled up with fuel again. I drove very gently for about a mile or so until a hill forced me to use a bit of power. When the boost came in a bit stronger, about 2700rpm, it started to splutter and misfire :-(.

I crawled back the house when the engine warning light came on and then started to flash (only under power). So i plugged in one of those cheapy fault code readers and it came up with cylinder 1 misfire code.

Ive changed the plugs
    swapped round injectors
    i'm about to do a compression test to confirm/deny the worst!

I'm guessing ive upset a sensor rather than done anything serious but if anyone has any suggestions on what to try next im all ears!!

Cheers,
    Nick

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Seeing as you've swapped injector to another cylinder, did the misfire follow?

Swap the coil pack on cyl 1 with cyl 2/3. Re-scan for faults and see if the misfire fault follows to the new cylinder. If it does coil pack is knackered, if it doesn't then you need to start looking at wiring or anything you disturbed when removing the fuel rail.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i M-sport
    1990 Golf GTi w/ a 20v heart BUILD THREAD
    Full VCDS

2006 A3 2.0T quattro S-line R.I.P. You will be missed.

** Breaking - 8L 1997 Audi A3 1.8T. **

6th Gear

Status
    Misfire didnt follow when i swapped injectors, but it did when i swapped coil packs. Error code jumped from cylinder 1 to 2!! PHEW!!!

Are audi still replacing coil packs FOC these days? Its a 2002 51plate S3 BAM.

4th Gear

Status
    Not sure to be honest fella. Give them a call, worst they can say is no. To which you buy some cheaper aftermarket coils.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i M-sport
    1990 Golf GTi w/ a 20v heart BUILD THREAD
    Full VCDS

2006 A3 2.0T quattro S-line R.I.P. You will be missed.

** Breaking - 8L 1997 Audi A3 1.8T. **

Neutral

Status
    Yea i had my coils done only 3-4 weeks ago at audi leeds

6th Gear

Status
    yes, the car is covered for FOC replacment, but ive got to get it 20miles to the nearest audi dealers on 3 cylinders.....

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by nky_84 View Post
    yes, the car is covered for FOC replacment, but ive got to get it 20miles to the nearest audi dealers on 3 cylinders.....
    I had to drive mine around 15/20 miles to get mine replaced tbh.....just take it easy
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

Neutral

Status
    See if you can get hold/borrow a coil to get you there, luckily for me i was able to get the aa to pop me one in temporarily