I've got my new S3, just a few questions

keendean

Reaction score
I'd like some chrome mirror covers, not sure to have brushed or mirror, my car is pre face lift 99.

What are the best ones to buy and where and at the best price?

Are the ones on ebay any good, any taken the plunge and bought some from there?

I'd like some of half decent qulaity with an OEM look without costing me big $$$ Or am I asking too much.

I'm not too keen on the brakes, I think they have cheap pads fitted as they get very hot quickly and smell bad and create so much brake dust, so I'm going for Pagid fast road pads and a full flush of the brake fluid (5.1) I hope should help things? The brake pedal feel feels slightly mushy and inspires no confidence at all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Also whats the pump noise you hear after you turn your car off? Sometimes I hear it too after I pull away when the car is warm already.
I looked under the bonnet and it seems to be a small pump with water hoses to it, is this nothing to be worried about?

Btw-Loving ownership of my new S3 bought off a forum member here-Very happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Go for the In-pro chrome wing mirrors, speak to Rich at www.jbrperformance.co.uk

As for the brakes, standard setup is about adequate for standard power IMO, mushy pedal is pretty much normal, get a set of braided hoses to improve sharpness.

Pump noise, again, is normal. It's a pump that keeps the coolant circulating after driving, to keep things cool, you still need to cool the turbo down after a spirited drive though, don't rely on this pump!

you still need to cool the turbo down after a spirited drive though, don't rely on this pump!

Since when ?

[ QUOTE ]
you still need to cool the turbo down after a spirited drive though, don't rely on this pump!

Since when ?

[/ QUOTE ]

The pump keeps circulating coolant around the engine and turbo, but to keep a Turbo in good nick, you need the oil to be circulating to cool it down, which is only done with the engine on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Since when ?

[/ QUOTE ]

The pump keeps circulating coolant around the engine and turbo, but to keep a Turbo in good nick, you need the oil to be circulating to cool it down, which is only done with the engine on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I presume this is why folk fit 'turbo timers' - to keep the oil circulating and look after the turbo ???

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Since when ?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I presume this is why folk fit 'turbo timers' - to keep the oil circulating and look after the turbo ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

oil doesnt cool the turbo though its jus lubrication. The cooling system cools the engine / turbo not the oil, oild will be warm / not.

[ QUOTE ]
oil doesnt cool the turbo though its jus lubrication. The cooling system cools the engine / turbo not the oil, oild will be warm / not.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's true what you are saying, the oil flowing through the turbo is in actual fact lubricating the turbo. After a spirited drive, the turbo would get pretty hot, so any standing oil would be ****** to death, if you switch your right engine off. By cooling your car down, or keeping it idling for a few minutes, will prolong your turbo's life.

Hope that's more clear. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

This is an old chestnut.

All modern turbos are watercooled, and the water continues to be pumped round the system after switch-off (at least it does in the S3 as I recall).

Also, If you use fully synthetic oil (e.g. Mobil 1), you are more or less 100% protected against "cooking" the oil.

That said, it is still good practice to allow the engine to idle for a few seconds before switch-off immediately following a fast motorway run.