retro-fitting heated seats...

Reaction score
i know the cold weather is coming to an end, but i think i can get hold of the complete wiring looms for the seats, should be also able to find someone who can fit it (i would just break something...) and am looking for the full climate/heated seat block (on ebay...) so i think i might be able to pull off one of the most talked about mods... if shouldnt be hard as the golf guys seem to be doing it easily (i have owned golfs for years).

main thing i wanted to know is on the older (preface lift) s3's the heated seat switches were placed with the hazzard lights, so are the blank switch space the same om the face lift? if so i dont need the whole block thing (but it wont look so good)...

anyway i am going to attempt this whole thing when i have time and the funds (up coming house is my priority) so if anyone can give me some advice i would be very grateful...

i will nearly have my perfect s3...

I did it on my Golf VR6, managed to source the seats from a breaker and bought two switches from the dealer. Went to a auto electrics place and I'm sure they just got the wiring diagram from VW and had it sorted in a day!

I really want to do this to mine as its the only option it hasn't got really and my previous S3 had heated seats and do miss them in the cold!!

But the million dollar question is.....do the recaros already come with the heating elements in them if you haven't specified the heated seats option from the factory?

No-one seems to know a definate answer for this one....

The answer is no.

Unless it was specified from the factory it will not have it, par for the course with Audi.

Same rule applies to the wiring loom... it would seem to most that the sensible thing to do would be to install the same loom in every car and then simply plug in the options you need and code the ECU as appropriate, but Audi do not. If the option isn't specified then the loom for it is not there either, making life difficult for the likes of us guys wanting to add parts afterwards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Cheers

T

[ QUOTE ]

main thing i wanted to know is on the older (preface lift) s3's the heated seat switches were placed with the hazzard lights, so are the blank switch space the same om the face lift? if so i dont need the whole block thing (but it wont look so good)...

[/ QUOTE ]

The heated seat switches on the facelift are on the climate control panel, at either side.

hmmm, is it possible to retro fit the facelift climit control into a prefacelift model? cheers

I'd guess yes - it will physically fit but I know for a fact that the wiring for the aircon panel is different despite the plugs being the same. There was a guy on TS that tried it, dont know if he ever resolved the problem.

does anyone have pics of the non facelift heated seat switches? i mean if they will fit into the blank switches on my facelift then i wont need a new aircon panel... and does anyone know if there is a difference between a single din air con panel and a double din? cuz i have a double din and the aircon panel fits in snug, but i notice on a single din where my air con panel goes is a tray...

Pic of dash from Velcro's car
100_4164.jpg

thanks alot, i dont think the heater switches will fit then... looks like i need a new air con panel...

Keep us posted with any further progress, as i would really like to retro fit this option aswell. I have spent ages looking into it but have never really come up with any definitive answers, and no-one seems to have ever successfully completed it.

Aaron