Down on power sometimes

• Thread starter imported_monkeytrousers
  • Start date
I

imported_monkeytrousers

Sorry guys, another "down on power" post, seems to be an S3 thing doesn't it?

Sometimes, my car feels flat in 2nd gear, with less "push back in the seat" yet once I change to 3rd, it feels 100% fine. I've also noticed that if I part throttle (no boost) in 2nd for a few seconds, then boot it, the response is better than if I booted it straight from coming out of 1st. But sometimes it feels perfect full stop.

eg: from standing start, boot it in 1st, then 2nd seems great as do subsequent gears. But dropping down from 3rd to 2nd and then booting it can sometimes feel flat.

I've had this nagging feeling for a couple of months now that something's not quite right, although the speedo still reminds me that I'm going places fast.

It's got to the stage now where I can predict when it's going to feel flat and when it's going to feel great, which leads me to believe there's nothing wrong, it's just the 1.8T engine behaving differently according to air conditions, incline etc. But being an S3 perfectionist, I can't shake off the doubt.

I've decided to take the car for an investigation / dyno at the end of the month.

Any ideas as to common things that might cause this on a remapped S3 with 40K? Forgive my ignorance here, but what is a DV and could that need replacing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Just out of curiousity mate how do you down shfit? when in 3rd gear do u press the clutch, slam the gas to full and then down shift? cause then the needle gets into boost stright away when I do this. I do though get funny power problems if I'm in 3rd and goin slow (but that's understandable)