Your experience ? - tyres

cjhill

hmmmmm interesting.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Ive just changed my tyres from BF goodrige 225/45/17 in my 2001 S3, to goodyear F1's (GSD3 i think)

I managed to get about 20K out of the old tyres but the guy who fitted them said id be lucky to get 10K out of these ones...

is this your experience ? or is he laking rubbish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Cheers.

P.S - they are so much quieter than the old ones - its amazing.

Depends how you drive I suppose.
I got about 20k out of my last set, but that was mostly motorway driving.

On the sound point, my F1s make a right racket. Not going to be buying them again.

surprised at that.. I find the F1s quieter ( a lot ) than either the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s I had or the OEM Conti's.. and have just had a second complete set fitted..

I got about 15.5k out of the last full set of F1s.. 2500miles more than i got out of the michelins.. but less than i got out of the contis.. you should get more than 10k, even from the S3.. You have more power than me, (remapped tdi, around175hp, 275lbs/ft) but I have a heavier car I would have thought, so would have expected similar distances..

v Happy with the F1's though, the car just feels right on them.. (I run at about 34psi, on standard 'sport' suspension, 235/45/17s) and definately quiet!

I'm getting some new front ones which were pirellis and want to know whats the going rate per corner?

I've been getting 15-18k out of the F1's on my S3, I don't normally hang about. I only used to get about 10k at most from the bridgestone S03's I used to use.

The F1's are noisier than continental etc, but I'd imaging that a new tyre will generally sound quieter than an old one with much less tread - less rubber.

The F1's are good in most respects but they are slippery in the cold until you get them warmed up due to their hard compound, though personally I think they are more slippery in the cold weather, even when warmed up, than the S03's were.

thats interesting to know - thanks guys.

I paid £92 a corner for mine. Probably could have got them cheaper somewhere else but didnt have the time to chase around.

cjhill

Where did you get that damn good price from?

I'm in London, but off down to Poole this week?

Cheers
Spuddie

A place called tyreland in Parkstone. Yes it was fitted and valves & balancing. They even checked the tracking for free.

Their number is 01202 742158