Under the bonnet

Gmac

Reaction score
Folks i've put up this photo so that the eagle eyed and experienced on here can help tell me whether things are standard or not, and any little things that look out of place! No comments too stupid as i know very little about these cars yet. The only thing that stands out to me is the blue piping...n249 delete?

Breather hoses have been modified as well,

Also looks like a different dumpvalve.

Its got a crappy atmos dump valve so that needs to go in the bin for a start :)

Forge TIP, N249 bypass, PCV deelte and catch can, SAI delete and a recent dipstick as all the new ones are now yellow rather than orange :)

I'd say its been modified... not too badly apart from the dump valve... which needs to go in the bin... (may have mentioned that before...)

<tuffty/>

Plus wiper blades....tuffty knows too much he's the man .

Mark

Couple more pics, not so clear...
Whats this one?
020645bac012e8edb84dad980c263b2f_zpsd4511a80.jpg

And is this the do that you've talked about tuffty?

f15a2644b7265437d56652b4388c61ec_zpse458d65a.jpg

What's PCV stand for again? And I believe the catch can thing has been put back to standard? I've got the catch can and piping in the boot!

And SAI , secondary air injection? Why do we delete that?

It's got a revo map on it done in 07 I think, at GTI international.

Will change the dv, I'm guessing best to go 710n?

710n is your best bang for buck, does the same job as the forge ones but at less than half the price.

Secondary Air Injection simply isn't needed in this country, it just adds lots of pipework and sounds crap when it starts breaking.

Positive Crankcase Ventilation, use one of the guides and put the catch can gear back on, will save you a lot of problems with leaks in the future!

Couple more pics, not so clear...
Whats this one?
020645bac012e8edb84dad980c263b2f_zpsd4511a80.jpg

Thats an atmospheric valve... its essentially an airleak... the ECU's in these cars don't work well with these valves.... change it for a new OE valve at the very least...

And is this the do that you've talked about tuffty?

f15a2644b7265437d56652b4388c61ec_zpse458d65a.jpg

What's PCV stand for again? And I believe the catch can thing has been put back to standard? I've got the catch can and piping in the boot!

PCV = positive crankcase ventilation... you still have the delete but looks like yours is just venting to atmosphere.... its not standard as on a std setup the PCV system is plumbed back into the TIP...

And SAI , secondary air injection? Why do we delete that?

It's got a revo map on it done in 07 I think, at GTI international.

Will change the dv, I'm guessing best to go 710n?

SAI is for emissions... essentially gets removed do de clutter the engine bay and remove vacuum pipes that have a tendancy to split... doesn't affect the MOT... Revo maps are ok but they are designed for engines with fairly small mods and tend to be a bit aggressive... this is a good read..
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...ps-everything-you-need-know-about-remaps.html

<tuffty/>

Plus the rubber seal around the rear of the engine bay (in front of scuttle panel) is missing. Also it looks like the sound proofing under the bonnet has been removed.

Cheers guys! Realised the pics were the wrong way round!...

So the wee blue filter is there instead of the catch can. I'll get a picture of the catch can tomorrow, but the guy I bought it from took it off as he thought is was causing issues, I'll get more info on this one.

I'll get a 710n ordered up. Would it be straight swap in, in place of the atmosphere one, ie the piping in and out ok?

Stainless fasteners on the engine covers...:)
What are they normally?

Will check about the sound deadening on the underside of the bonnet. And will see if I can get hold of the rubber surround for the back of the bay.

I'll get a picture of the catch can tomorrow, but the guy I bought it from took it off as he thought is was causing issues, I'll get more info on this one.

I doubt it was causing issues mate... in a catch can or venting lile that won't make any difference... its most likely that god awful atmos valve thats causing any issues...

I'll get a 710n ordered up. Would it be straight swap in, in place of the atmosphere one, ie the piping in and out ok?

You will need to remove the bung from the TIP as this is where the bottom of the DV should go then the side outlet will go into the hose the atmos valve is connected too... don't forget to reconnect the vacuum line thats in the top too

<tuffty/>

So here is a photo of the catch can and a filter and I think the original PCV breather....

One other thing.. The car beeps four times when I first put the ignition on? Anything to do with a fault code..01378...Ultra sonic sensor for alarm system.

4f2803026431d3da74ce6ca6c7c7f720_zps75dc47d0.jpg

Anyone recognise this type of catchcan?

Rubber thing that goes across the bulkhead sourced!

The four beeps usually indicates that the alarm siren backup battery is in a low power state. The siren is a sealed unit but a few on here have replaced the rechargeable batteries if you have decent soldering skills. The siren has since been revised and improved if you wanted to go down the replacement route if your soldering skills suck.

The dv I have is actually a baileys one, written on the under side! Thought these were supposed to be good? Is it normal for it to only have the input from the charge pipe and the wee pipe running out the top? As the oem one is plugged in to the TIP?

Yeh baileys as a brand are ok. But you have an atmosphric version. The 1.8t doesnt like them. I cant remember why.

You need a recirculating valve. And oem seems to be recommended.

Yeh baileys as a brand are ok. But you have an atmosphric version. The 1.8t doesnt like them. I cant remember why.

You need a recirculating valve. And oem seems to be recommended.

Ah ok cool, thanks Daz! Will get on and order a 710n