VAG-COM Error - Audi S3 8L

Jonnysideways

Reaction score
Website
www.mym3.co.uk
Hi all

nebee to S3, and car has had loads of errors on the vag-com. I cleared them off and had lots of B1 S1 Lamdba issues, which I believe were due to the main lamdba sensor was melted to the manifold.

so the latest error after fixing the wires is I have the following error:

17861 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235): Open or Short to Plus
P1453 - 35-00

Now daft question, is this linked to the Lamdba or is it a sensor in its own right?

cheers

John

EGT sensor... its a sensor in its own right but will cause the ECU to overfuel... the probe is located in the hotside of the turbo and the sensor box is bolted underneath the inlet manifold... check to see if its plugged in first by undoing the plastic trim panel in front of the inlet mani

<tuffty/>

many thanks. being new to s3's is that the plastic cover at the front of the engine?

When I first had the lambda errors they were as follows:
16514 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Malfunction in Circuit
P0130 - 35-00 - -
17511 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating: B1 S1: Performance too Low
17510 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating: B1 S1: Short to Plus

So I fixed this (I think by fixing the wires, unless this is not an acceptable fix)

and now I get

17861 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235): Open or Short to Plus
P1453 - 35-00

now I have not seen this error before so I dont know if im seeing it becasue the lamdba sensor is still not 100% or because it wasn't showing before then the lamdba was shorting out.

basically don't want to spend and another £100 on the lambda to find out the issue is the EGT, and conversely don't want to buy a EGT sensor to find that it was the lambda

Just odd, as the gas sensor warning wasnt showing until the error from the lamdba was cleared, don't know how they all interact with each other.

any advise is really appreciated.

cheers

John

Last edited:
Its in front of the dipstick....

Be aware though if the EGT sensor is actually faulty then its not a cheap part to buy new... you can find them on eBay for around 40 quid but new they are over 150 quid

That fault code could also be a wring fault... are there any other fault codes? have you check the fuses as I think the sensors are fused and the melting wiring on the lambda could have blown it

<tuffty/>

Ill check fuses.

I dropped the previous codes into the post above.

What I am trying to understand is why after fixing the lamba sensor did the EGT sensor error show up, as in could it be a red herring? again I know I'm a nebee, hence not understanding how they all come together, but reading up on the forums has confused me more than helped, especially when some owners have had similar errors caused by vacuum leaks, or thermostat issues in some cases, trying to understand it all it a mare!

cheers

John

Last edited:
Its in front of the dipstick.... <tuffty/>

IMAG0875

As in this cover?

many thanks again.

I had a issue with the EGT sensor and I got a used one on eBay, swapped it all over and all has been well the last few weeks. Taking it off under the inlet manifold is easy but getting the cable out around the block is tricky! Check the sensor the still actually inside the hosing at the back of the turbo, sometimes they have fallen out and just been hanging around!

So does anyone know if the EGT is linked to the Lambda sensor?

In what context?... the EGT probe is part of the maps fuelling strategy... VAG use it as a protection system for managing EGT's (exhaust gas temps) and protection for this strategy kicks in at 925 degrees.... AMK/BAM S3's are designed to run Lambda 1 for emissions control and fuel economy reasons... there are various strategies the map uses to enrich fuel mixture based on input from various sensors such as intake air temperature, knock sensors, modelled EGTs and of course the EGT sensor itself...

Depending on the conditions and data fed back from this array of sensors the map will enrichen AFR accordingly..

In this context then yes the EGT probe is 'linked' to fuelling thats monitored by the lambda sensor...

If you mean physically then certain sensors do share wiring but tbh I would expect other sensors to throw fault codes too... have you checked if its plugged in yet?

<tuffty/>

so. got cover off, and yes lots of wires and things.

IMAG0930

What I am looking for ;0)

Re the previous post. I was wondering whether the lambda not working would stop the egt reporting a fault, and then when you fix the lambda the egt would then be able to report a problem.

when i first had the errors on the vag-com, there were not any egt errors, and then when I "fixed" the lambda, or think i have after rewiring it, as it had melted, I now have no lambda errors, but the 1 egt error.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
I can see straight away mate... EGT sensor box is unplugged...look for a 3 pin plug floating around there and plug it into the box under the inlet mani

<tuffty/>

My cable has a braided silver cover,

Mark

For the probe yeah... this goes into the black box under the inlet... EGT probe in its entirety looks like this:
DSCF2800.jpg

From the picture posted by the OP the EGT sensor is obviously unplugged and this is the reason the open circuit fault code is present..

Plug it in, clear the code and all should be good assuming the EGT probe is not knackered of course...

<tuffty/>

I can see straight away mate... EGT sensor box is unplugged...look for a 3 pin plug floating around there and plug it into the box under the inlet mani

<tuffty/>

I released as soon as I posted picture that it would be that connector, as I removed it to get cover off lol.

Reactions: <tuffty/>
Oops, ye the plug end is covered in the black corrugated plastic.
Mark

I've ordered a new sensor to see if error Wil go away. If it does I'll have to fit sensor.

Can anyone offer advice on best way to do the replacement?

Cheers for info thus far.

I've ordered a new sensor to see if error Wil go away. If it does I'll have to fit sensor.

Can anyone offer advice on best way to do the replacement?

Cheers for info thus far.

The sensor unbolts from under the inlet... 5mm allen key but the one over the alternator can be a bit tight to get too... then the probes cable goes round the gearbox end of the engine and is screwed into the back of the turbo hotside (17mm spanner for that)

<tuffty/>

so, new sensor arrives. I clear error message before I start to test to see if the new sensor gets rid off the error, and seems for now at least, that the simple act of disconnecting and reconnecting the sensor has cleared the fault!

So I ran car for 24 hours, and then the fault came back. Think its related to the connector, as the new one connects to the loom very well. So yesterday I changed the sensor. Once i took the strut brace off and moved some of the turbo pipes out of the way I was able to get a 17mm spanner on the sensor and undo it, and as you guys said, getting the sensor round the engine is interesting.

Anyway, up shot is as it sits error has cleared, and I will monitor.

Many thanks for all the advise, it was appreciated.

spoke to soon.

Have new errors.

P1103 - 35-00 - -

17526 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating; B1 S2: Open Circuit
P1118 - 004 - No Signal/Communication

17522 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor; B1 S2: Internal Resistance too High
P1114 - 004 - No Signal/Communication

Think I need a new Lambda sensor in the front, but not sure if the new error is a red herring.

New Bosch lambda sensor added, and all was well untill I drove for a few miles.

Now have:
17526 - 17526 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating; B1 S2: Open Circuit
P1118 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
17522 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor: B1 S2: Internal Resistance too High
P1114 - 35-00 - -

any advice please ?

Last edited:
to conclude, in the end, the car worked better with a disconnected main O2 / Lambda Sensor disconnected. Ended up selling car with the fault, after spending nearly £1400 trying to get issues resolved.

Similar issues as I'm having with my Lambda sensor replaced lambda sensor but am still getting fault codes for lambda B1S1

Attachments

• PXL_20220614_154709258.jpg
    PXL_20220614_154709258.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 80