Help regarding outside temp readout

fdussud

Reaction score
As I am new to this forum, I thought I would start off with prossibly a stupid question.

When I got back in my 2001 (210) S3 today after having driven it only and hour ago, I looked at my out side temp reading and noticed it was at +16c. (outside temp was actaully +2 at the most)

Anyways, while driving I kept monitoring it and it slowly made its way back down to about +1.5.

I dont know if the +16 was due to the car still being warm from driving it before but i have never noticed this happening before so would like to know if anyone has ever had this problem and what the cause may be.

Please help. Thanks

Welcome mate

Make sure the outside temp sensor is securly held in its place.If it has fallen towards the engine compartment it will read higher temps due to the engine heat.
In my car (prefacelift LHD A3) is located in the lower right hand side of the front bumber as you look the car from the outside.

mine has been doing this for ages - i was going to replace the sensor but hadnt thought o check its position ! what does the sensor look like ?

did you sort this one out ? does anyone have a diagram of the sensor position please ?

I've been getting this for ages too. Temp reading always returns to correct level after driving for about 2 mins or so....

Sounds like another common one!!

It's normal for the temp to read higher after standing between drives, it's even mentioned in the handbook.

mine is ok the first time i drive the car in the morning or whenever but if i stop somewhere and then get back in and drive the temp reads way too high - thought it was 18C about 30 mins ago - I wish !!

[ QUOTE ]
mine is ok the first time i drive the car in the morning or whenever but if i stop somewhere and then get back in and drive the temp reads way too high - thought it was 18C about 30 mins ago - I wish !!

[/ QUOTE ]

This could just be heat soak from the engine, remember it'll get hot under the bonnet and stay hot for a long while, that said my S3 doesn't seem to have the same problem.

that would seem likely to be the problem however mine also didnt always do this (started about 6 months ago) so maybe the sensor has moved from wher it is supposed to be - does anyone have a diagram so that we can check ?

Here is a picture that shows the temp probe location on the prefacelift model,
sorry but I dont have a more appropriate photo.

temp%20probe.jpg

If the probe is not held in its place then it will not be accurate once the engine is hot.
However you should be able to locate it and push/lock it back in its place easily.

its probably only a 5min job though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hope you'll sort it out