Getting rear caliper dust seal back in

david7m

Reaction score
Hi
When I wound the pistons back in for new pads I noticed one of the dust seals had came out.
How do I get it back in ?
Dave

It's a bit of a fiddle! If I remember correctly you have to get the seal seated inside calliper before stretching the seal over the piston. There's probably a tutorial on YouTube of how to do it.

Ill elaborate a bit on that as that's a bit vague... Pretty sure this is how I did it... Fit the seal inside the caliper, then using some brake fluid to lubricate the seal and piston use a couple of screw drivers to lever the boot over the piston. Then it can be slid in until you can seat the boot in the undercut on the piston.

It's getting the seal inside the caliper that I couldn't do :(
Dave

Did you have the seal already over the piston? If so its pretty much impossible to do!

Make sure the undercut in the caliper is clean as they can crap in the corners. It should seat in there fairly easily. Then once youve done that you have to carefully lever it over the piston, making sure not to pull it as its easy to pull it out of the caliper.

Yes, it's on piston.
The piston sticks out the caliper, which now sounds like the problem, ie it needs to be wound in further before I attempt it.
Dave