1.8T MPG

cha1n

Reaction score
What sort of mpg do the 1.8T drivers on here average. since i've bought the car i seem to average 30-31mpg seems pretty bad, or is that normal? I'm hardly ever in traffic, and mostly driving 40-60mph roads. cheers

Ross

I do mostly town driving and get 24-28mpg from the S3

[ QUOTE ]
What sort of mpg do the 1.8T drivers on here average. since i've bought the car i seem to average 30-31mpg seems pretty bad, or is that normal? I'm hardly ever in traffic, and mostly driving 40-60mph roads. cheers

Ross

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the case and you really are doing a steady 40-60 without stop starting a lot I'd expect more as I'd get higher than that in my S3, mine seems to get the best fuel economy at about 40-50mph. My average of about half nutty driving and half motorway driving gets me 27.7mpg according to the DIS.

i have 99 1.8T and I usually get from 28 or so on commute.

On recent trip down to cornwall i was up to 38.. but was taking it easy cruising down

On way back I was abit quicker ( 80 mostly touching 95 sometimes and overtaking) and mpg went donw to 32.

my DIS tells me my average is about 25mpg, but that is 90% crawling to work.
As soon as I've had one good blast on the motorway for 100 miles, its up to 30mpg.

Based soley on 70-80mph motorway cruising, I would get late 30s mpg

I used to get about 32 average from my 1999 1.8T, mostly on a 14mile commute which is mainly motorway.

On a long run it would improve to higher 30's (e.g 36).

I usually had the aircon turned OFF most of the time.

Brim to brim figures from my S3 AmD remap and 19" wheels, 90% cruising at 70ish on motorway 30mpg, 95% motorway driving between 70-100 - 28mpg, 95% rapid motorway driving between 90-120 - 25mpg, 50:50 A-road and town driving - 23mpg, trackday - 13mpg!
My DIS(when it was working) constantly tells me I'm doing 27.9mpg.

On a 90 mile journey of 70-80mph+ driving I got an outstanding 41mpg on my 99 1.8T. Normal 10 mile journey to work on a cold morning I'll see 33-34ish at 40-60 mph with a mile or so of crawling along.

This is fairly steady driving with decent accelaration from time to time.

Will see 36-38mpg in the warmer weather.

Parkers gives the 1.8T an average of 35mpg which seem about right.

I averaged about 30-32 from my MkIV Golf 1.8T which was the same engine I think.

Best I ever seen was 36 on a long motorway trip. Worst was mid 20's.

Mine seems to stay around the 28Mpg marks, in the summer it was upto 30. It does do better on the longer runs, keeping off the boost, but whres the fun in that!

Well that clears things up, it's not as bad as i thought. When first got the car for the first week i averaged 33 mpg, but now with occational bursts of agressive speed, i average 30-31 mpg. My trips are 11 mile each way, and like is said mostly 40-60 mph. Seems what i get is about right then. cheers for the replies.

Ross

I was getting on average 35 mpg which included a 40 mile round trip daily to work and some crawling in traffic.

I am not getting that at the moment as it has dropped dowm to 30mpg but i am still doing the same journey. I have iot booked into the garage to check it out so hopefully i will be back up to 35 mpg.

I have to say i added an Ecotek valve which increased my fuel consumption by 3-4mpg.

I was averaging around 32mpg in my 1.8T Quattro but following remap this has dropped to the very low 20s. Loving the car but not the fuel consumption so I'd say if this is a concern to you, don't go for the remap.

[ QUOTE ]
I was averaging around 32mpg in my 1.8T Quattro but following remap this has dropped to the very low 20s. Loving the car but not the fuel consumption so I'd say if this is a concern to you, don't go for the remap.

[/ QUOTE ]

have you seriously changed your driving style since the remap? If not, i'd get the high fuel consumption investigated.

Not at all - if anything my normal driving style is less aggresive! Even when i try and minimise consumption (ie driving at 60mph) i get a max of around 25/26 - but when combined with stop/start and the odd foot down moment it goes down to around 20. It's not the DIS - I've done brim to brim measurements.
This literally happened as I drove out of AMD after the remap. I've been back since and had a new DV fitted but nothing's changed. Although I'm on the long life service i'm gonna opt back into annual/every 10k so will be getting it serviced soon.

I'm not too technical but could it be something as simple as a Spark plug gone wrong? Would this show up on VAGCOM - AMD did a full test when i went back and it showed nothing was wrong...???!!!