Quick question - legal tyre tread?

Rich,

I know this sounds dumb but what is
the tyre wear indicator? what does it
look like. I have looked for this before but i didnt really know what
i was looking for.

Might sound stupid, but I couldn't actually see any earlier today!

Either that's really bad, and they've worn way to far! Or i'm just being stupid (i expect the latter!).

I thought that the legal limit was 1.6mm but I've always used 2mm as a rough guide as tyres can wear unevenly.

For you guys trying to find them they should also be indicated on the sidewall of the tyre with an arrow or some such rubbish then you just need to look across the tread for either raised patches deep in the tread on new ish tyres or a flat spot connecting the tread blocks together across the tyre in very worn illegal tyres.

If in real doubt pop down halfrauds and by a tread depth gauge ~ £7 from memory.

1.6mm for cars
1.0mm for motorbikes

and visible tread for mopeds/scooter!

[ QUOTE ]
Is the legal tyre tread 1.6mm?

Just checking that i need 4 and not two new tyres!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

At least 1.6mm throughout a continuous band in the centre ¾ of the tread and around the entire circumference ( the edge's can be bald /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif)

and the wear indicators are 2mm on most new tyre now

Don't some tyres make an audible whine when they are down to the legal limit? Obviously while moving!

I thought the Eagle F1s did this?

my good years are noisy but still legal. (still up off the tread wear guides)

ill be glad to get rid of them

indicator.jpg

here you can read all about it:

www.2pass.co.uk/tyres.htm

just run your finger through the grooves on the tyre and you will come across one eventually.

RIch

[ QUOTE ]
Goodyear Eagle F1s are noisy anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

true, even goodyear admitted that.

But mine seem to be getting worse. road noise has been on the increase recently.

They are comming up to replacement time.

ill be going back to my Mitchelins. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
1.6mm for cars
1.0mm for motorbikes

and visible tread for mopeds/scooter!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, slightly scary for mopeds. It needs to be at least 1mm over a constant 75% but if it is less than 50cc you just need the tread to be visible over the complete tread!

saw top gear a few years back testing tyres and they said 3mm for wide performance tyres. but that was just their advise.