Anyone had a remap from these guys?

• Thread starter imported_spuddie007
  • Start date
I

imported_spuddie007

I found these guys on ebay, advertising a remap for circa £210 all-in. They seem to know what they're talking about, but not sure?

Slipstream

I found them as well. Spoke to them and they seem to be pretty knowledgeable. They seem to train up people and send them out to DIY remap with their own kit. Have a look at the website. I have found another place that does remaps for a similar amount. They can do 'live mapping'. Am going to find out the costs and will post them. Promise this wont be like the old QST remap where no one got it done!
PM me if anyone is interested. The only drawback is the place is South Birmingham!
Rob

Slipstream had an ebay auction for a remap going, I won it at £100.

Is it worth going ahead with? I'm seriously in two minds, but the guy seems to know what he's talking about, and is bringing his S3 with him, to show me what the power difference will feel like at the bottom end of the revs range.

Any other thoughts apart from Rob?

okay, bit the bullett and went for it. BIG PROBLEM - car now doesn't recognise the ECU and although it turns over the engine, it won't actually start.

They've taken the ECU out and have a new one coming tomorrow from Germany. I know it's unlikelybut has anyone had experience with switching over their ECU at all. At the moment I'm as worried as hell that the car will never run again, and I'm already kicking myself for letting these monkeys loose on the car in the first place so please nobody say "I told you so?".

Any advice greatly and graciously received.

Cheers. . .

Good luck mate, I thought about going for these guys but now.....

Won't the alarm/immob have to be re-keyed?

Fingers crossed for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The alarm still arms, in fact it's armed now, even though there's no ECU in the car!

The way the car turned over, said to me that the immobiliser had reset itself, but then they plugged into the ECU and it wouldn't respond at all.

I'm really pulling my hair out now, don't know what to do. I suppose you get what you pay for hey, would have been easier and quicker to go to AMD etc?

Any other advice greatly received....cheers matey!

So do these guys come to you or do you go to them?

I'm assuming that they have removed your original ECU and fitted a piggyback chip to it or similar?

If so, sounds like they have ******** the soldering. Your original ECU won't need re-coding if its removed.

If its a new ECU that is pre chipped then that would need re-coding (adapting) to the car.

What year is your car? Might have been easier to have it remapped via the Diagnostics port.

Remote alarm is separate and work through the central locking control unit. Immobiliser is in the dials and talks to the ECU that way, which is why you can still lock your car remotely etc.

At least they sound like they will be sorting the problem out, so it may work out okay in the end.

They originally plugged in an ODB2 cable to the diagnostics port to read the 'file' on the ECU, sent it away to be remapped, with a view to re-uploading the new file through the same. Trouble started when writing the file on, which failed and therefore no info on the ECU.

Do you know how the ECU can be re-coded to my car at all, cos I can see them getting a new ECU but not being able to start the car still as the car will essentially have a new 'brain'. Is this something Audi would have to do?

Hopefully this will get sorted, and apparently it's cos my car was one of the last pre-facelifts out of the factory, and Audi remapped the chip to 225bhp when it left the factory.

I think what they then did was remove the chip in the ECU and write to it, and re-soldered it back in.

i had a ******** ecu from a chip change, took it to Lynx automotive in nottingham, within reason if the board is not scored they can fix it and re-code or code a new ecu to work with your car, audi maybe able to do a straight forward coding of your ecu for you

if not these are lynx's details from yell.com

Lynx Automotive Ltd
Unit 25, Moorbridge Rd East, Bingham, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire NG13 8GG
Tel: 01949 836362

good luck

Cheers mate, I'll give them a buzz now, it's engaged at the moment! Thanks!

[ QUOTE ]
i had a ******** ecu from a chip change, took it to Lynx automotive in nottingham, within reason if the board is not scored they can fix it and re-code or code a new ecu to work with your car, audi maybe able to do a straight forward coding of your ecu for you

Lynx Automotive Ltd

good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Do these guys actually offer remaps too?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Lynx Automotive Ltd

good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Do these guys actually offer remaps too?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I spoke to them, they only offer to recondition/restore ECus or provide new one's!

I had a remap on my S3 by slipstream. Performance increase is good but when I accellerate hard the abs/esp light comes on. It stays out after I turn the ignition off and on but the explanation I got from them seems boll*cks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

They sound pretty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif to me!

[ QUOTE ]
They sound pretty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif to me!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif sorry, yep does sound pretty dire

Thanks for that great news, luckily I know where the dude lives, haven't got the ECU back yet, but should have it tomorrow!

I think I managed to get him sacked from Slipstream cos of his errors, they are on the plus side remapping for free and paying for my hire car until my car's fixed again!

Fingers crossed hey?

Guess what, I'm still waiting for my ECU back from the numpties. Saying it was posted back to the UK last Saturday (no not the one just gone!)....

When I get it back, I'll post a full report on the idiots including all the emails I've had and sent!

I've just bought a new ECU from Audi and getting it tommorrow at a cost of £461 which I'll be claiming back off SSD, but to ensure no-one makes the same mistake as me, don't get any work done by them!

Three and a half weeks and counting, and I keep getting a tear in my eye when I see my car, but know I can't drive it!

Boo hoo!

Good luck mate, but i hope you got something in writing from them that they will reimburse you for the cost of a new ECU plus the inconvenience.
Dont let them get away with it and make sure that they know that you will take them to court if need be.

hi mate, only just read this post. when i had my oneclick from amd they didnt give me instructions on how to use it and it ******** up when i was swapping over the map. exactly the same happend to me with the starter motor turning over and everything else workin.. in the end amd said the chip in the ecu was fried so they replaced it and it did the job... might be worth mentioning to them...

[ QUOTE ]
Good luck mate, but i hope you got something in writing from them that they will reimburse you for the cost of a new ECU plus the inconvenience.
Dont let them get away with it and make sure that they know that you will take them to court if need be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes mate, I have this in writing already, but want what's mine back! Apparently the ECU is tuned and fixed but stuck in the 'post' for nearly two weeks. A joke that they can't track it, as they it's DHL who have it.

I miss my car!