Lowering Springs

a3daveo

Reaction score
Hi

thinking of lowering my car (just replacing the springs) and I was looking around at the choices of springs available. Its a 1997 1.6.

I know the majority of you guys will advise on Eibach but what do you make of the ones available on Eba like these ?

Was also looking at the Koni's?

Any views at all?

Cheers

Daveo

I'm going for H&R springs used em before on my vw's

I'll be going for the Bilstein / H&R combination, but it seems you need to have the adjustable tie rods for the rear if you're actually going for a handling improvement so I'll be waiting until I can afford to get the whole lot done at once along with the ARBs.

If you want to retain some ride quality i would deffinately go for Eibach or H&R, I had Eibach on my A4 and ive got H&R on my S3 both are excellent. My experience of cheaper alternatives is that they dont do development work, they just take the standard spring settings and increase the stiffness by 20% or so and reduce the length of the spring. This generally results in poor ride quality.

[ QUOTE ]
... it seems you need to have the adjustable tie rods for the rear if you're actually going for a handling improvement...

[/ QUOTE ]
Needless to say only on the Quattros... FWD have much simpler trailing arm/torsion beam setup and hence no tie rods to adjust (as the original post was about a 1.6 I would presume it's FWD).

I bought my springs & dampers from motorsportworld and I found them to be helpful and friendly as well as cheap!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif