8.5x18" Alloy wheels on S3

MK1Campaign

Reaction score
Hello,

Will alloy wheels of the above size fit ok on an S3. The wheels originally came off a MK4 Golf GTI. I have also attached a picture of them. They were imported from Germany and are only the second set in the country to my knowledge.

Thanks

Ben (Soon to be S3 owner) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

As far as I am aware they will. 8.5x18's are the normal size to go for on the S3 IIRC, and if they are from a Golf then the PDC is correct. Somebody back me up?

Hi all ...... new to this site ........ but not new to cars/bikes ...... tho' only had S3 ten months.
Sure the S3 will accept 8.5x18 but as well as the PCD (pitch circle diameter) of the stud-bolts the critical issue is the 'offset' of the wheel ... it's ET value /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif(einprestiefen : german for offset) which is measured from the mounting face of the wheel to it's centre-line .. should be around 37 to 40mm for A3/S3 but check with dealer or reputable wheel manufacturer/supplier .. the ET is usually cast into the wheel and should be included as part of it's reference/size number .. check before buying ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
S3DCT said:
.. should be around 37 to 40mm for A3/S3 but check with dealer or reputable wheel manufacturer/supplier .. the ET is usually cast into the wheel and should be included as part of it's reference/size number .. check before buying ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure where you are getting those figures from, unless you are specifically refering to 8.5" wide rims.

Standard S3 wheels are ET32.
My 8" x 18" Audi wheels are ET33...not exactly between 37 and 40, and the common offset for VAG cars with 5 x 100 hubs seems to be around 35 for 8.0 or 8.5" widths.

VWs tend to run between ET43 and ET38 as standard.

Audi A3/S3/TT seem to run a bit less..ET32 / ET33.

The difference cam mean scuffing...put RS4 type copies with a VW based aftermarket offset of 35 onto a TT, for example, and on full lock the tyre can hit the arch liner.
The extra 3mm of inset can make the difference....not every time, but it happens!

So be careful...if the offset is adjusted to make allowances for the extra 0.5" of width over the standard Audi wheels, to ensure the wheels do not scuff on the inside, you should perhaps be looking for a wheel with less offset - maybe ET28-ET30 - there is plenty of room in the arches for going outwards!