S3 Bhp at the wheels???

keendean

Reaction score
I'm buying a second hand S3, it ran 172bhp atw a few years ago, is this right, or does this sound low? It's a 210bhp model.

Also would a 99 S3 which had warranty work for injection system and cylinder head replaced in 2001 bother you at all?

I called Audi customer services who cerfied its Full Audi history and all warranty work, v.helpful.

Sounds about right, the quattro system makes transmittion losses quite high, I'd be surprised if you could find an S3 that's not had some sort of warranty work so it wouldn't bother me, I'd rather it'd been sorted than not.

actually sounds a little high to me... I thought the loss was more like 50hp.

I had my standard 210 S3 on the new rollers at Awesome GTi a couple of months ago and it made 172.6 bhp @ wheels and 191.6 ft-lbs @ wheels.

[ QUOTE ]
actually sounds a little high to me... I thought the loss was more like 50hp.

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps not then......

Power figures are for bullsh!ting your mates in the pub.

You should go by how it drives not what it says on paper!

What about

Also would a 99 S3 which had warranty work for injection system and cylinder head replaced in 2001 bother you at all?

?

Slightly worried about the above.

Doh-Just read the thread, I guess so, just major work for an car that was still so young.

As for the power, I think he disabled the quattro system, so not a very good run.

I drove it, bit flat at 80mph in 4th, but seemed ok though to 100mph, defo needs a remap.
I guess they are heavy cars with a hefty quattro system.

"I drove it, bit flat at 80mph in 4th" - hmm, it should really pull to the redline.

If your getting the impression on acceleration that "they are heavy cars with a hefty quattro system" then there's probably something off there.

they're not fast cars, but they are rapid. The closest car i can compare mine too is a MK2 golf (acceleration, not handling). The low torque is nice, like a digifant, and the top-end likes to rev, like a k-jet.

[ QUOTE ]
"I drove it, bit flat at 80mph in 4th" - hmm, it should really pull to the redline.

If your getting the impression on acceleration that "they are heavy cars with a hefty quattro system" then there's probably something off there.

they're not fast cars, but they are rapid. The closest car i can compare mine too is a MK2 golf (acceleration, not handling). The low torque is nice, like a digifant, and the top-end likes to rev, like a k-jet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying your S3 only pulls like your MK2 golf? Was your golf a Rallye?

I dont think the S3 can be described as being "low Torque" either. The Torque figures a relatively high for the engine capacity and hp.

[ QUOTE ]
At 80mph in 4th my S3 would be pulling rather quickly towards the redline no hesitation at all.

What car are you comparing the performance too - that may help us understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

GTQ...I tried to PM you toady...but your inbox is full...want to clear it out a bit?

Sorry for the hijack...

[ QUOTE ]
Power figures are for bullsh!ting your mates in the pub.

You should go by how it drives not what it says on paper!

[/ QUOTE ]

A very valid point... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

oops, fat fingers there...

I meant low end torque, like a digifant.
and high end pull like a valver.

No, I never did own a rallye, I decided that would be a very bad idea due to the lack of parts.

I'd still compare the 1st and 2nd gear acceleration to that of my 8V GTi, but 3rd gear and after it was just disappointing.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
At 80mph in 4th my S3 would be pulling rather quickly towards the redline no hesitation at all.

What car are you comparing the performance too - that may help us understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

GTQ...I tried to PM you toady...but your inbox is full...want to clear it out a bit?

Sorry for the hijack...

[/ QUOTE ]

ah ****** it, I've deleted a load now - don't think the part of the inbox that tells you it's at 100% capacity works!

[ QUOTE ]

As for the power, I think he disabled the quattro system, so not a very good run.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be a little worried about that. Its my understanding that pulling the fuse to the Haldex (quattro) unit is not a good thing to do. They are expensive to replace.

Also, by him doing that you haven't really got a proper power figure anyway. Even if is at the wheels.

Warranty. I don't think the injector work would bother me. But having the cylinder head off might. I guess you should check around the gasket for oil etc. Maybe try to find out why the cylinder head was taken off.

Like others have said in some recent threads on here - the mechanicals of these engines are pretty solid, unless they have been stressed by big-turbo kits AND ragging them when cold. Its itty bitty sensors and a crap plastic DV that tend to go wrong mostly.

AL

I presume the Quattro works, would it bring up a fault? It was just serviced with Audi and they found no problems with the car.

Just being a bit para, bought a few duff Subarus in my time.

Figures sound right for standard s3 in 2wd mode.
Go on condition.