S3 - Parking sensors

A picture? There's really nothing to see, other than 4 sensors that are fixed into the black strip in the rear bumper. They're not painted or anything, just disguised in the black strip.

internally, there's no display or anything, just an audible warning, which bleeps, bleeps faster, then constant tone when it's time to stop.

I'm too good at this... there you go...

o5qm1l.jpg

yeah nice one thanks, only reason i ask is because my mate at Audi seems to think that holes are cut in the bumper & the sensors mounted there like most other audi models. But i argued.

Cheers matt

and he chose the bird-poo pic as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Damn, you might have chosen the modified pic!!

Problem with the sensors is that once the bumper gets dirty they are really unreliable.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, all that photoshop hard work gone to waste! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Problem with the sensors is that once the bumper gets dirty they are really unreliable.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry chap, didn't notice and I don't think it shows that much either, I just picked the first one I saw - If a mod can be bothered to edit the pic in my post feel free.

Easy there.... just having a laugh mate.

I actually thought these were standard fit on the S3, I'd happily swap for heated seats.

anyone have any idea how much that panel costs ?

Also how hard fitment might be ?

Is there a loom already in place ?

Thanks

Matt

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mine have been fine.

maybe you letting your car get too dirty!

Mine gets the usuall s3 flicked up crap but never had issues with the sensors.

you got a field growing on there or something? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Might be a few things, amount of salt in the grit they spread here in Scotland perhaps.
The car can go from newly washed to absolutely filthy (at bumper/tailgate level) in 2 days, doesn't help that I park on a busy road either.
I've proved it to be the dirt by now carrying a bottle of water and a sponge for the parking sensors alone, a quick wipe and they are fine.
Certainly the mudflaps seem to do no good at all, and driving even on dry days in Winter mean I have to use the rear wash wipe a lot as salt still gets kicked up.

[ QUOTE ]
anyone have any idea how much that panel costs ?

Also how hard fitment might be ?

Is there a loom already in place ?

Thanks

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

So any ideas guys ?

Or even a part number would help

Thanks

Matt

I'll have a look tonight if I get time and try and figure out wat the part numbers are for the panel and the sensors and maybe even the bit that makes it all work, as if it's not really expensive I might be interested.

I doubt the wiring is in place but I don't think that should be too hard as you can take a reverse signal from the lights etc. and it's just a beep which I guess comes from the box that is fitted in the boot.

ok mate yeah please let me know.

Thanks

Matt.

I know most dealer do a "dealer fit" which fits sensors into the original vinyl panel, but i would prefer the original factory option look although it seems to be pretty rare.

panel is approx £45-£55 plus the sensors. The wiring loom is also required plus a control unit as well i think.
Is it really worth it? Why not go for a high quality retro fit kit witht he sensors hidden behind the bumper ??

Well my mate works at Audi, an aftermarket dealer fit is 220 fitted.

well, i wouldn't bother. I just reversed into a ****** car after being paranoid about what some little kid was doing running about near where i was reversing. Did the sensors bleep? did they f***.

nice.

a repair bill for their car, and now a scratched bumper to fill and respray!!

oh the joys of life.

oh, and to top it off, they did't realise i'd hit them till i told them!

well i think it could be worthwhile if the costs arent so great.

The rear panel for parking sensors is £83.27
4 x Senors (primed) is £246.14

Not sure whatelse is required or if the sensors includes any looms / control units that maybe required.

[ QUOTE ]
well, i wouldn't bother. I just reversed into a ****** car after being paranoid about what some little kid was doing running about near where i was reversing. Did the sensors bleep? did they f***.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's bad luck. I was saved by mine the other day when reversing out of a car park and didn't see a really low metal post. Sensors went mad and I jammed my food on the brake. Was sure I had hit it but no damage so I guess not. Phew.

Never new of that site before, looks help although could be more detailed.