Sky InsuranceBadger5
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jojo

Thread: adjustable rear tie bars

2nd gear sorts em out

Status

adjustable rear tie bars

right i bought som adjustable rear tie bars because i lowered mr car with apex springs a while ago went to a garage to get them put on today but the four wheel alignment the had wouldn't fit on my car as its to low can't get the things on the tyres , but he said that maybe the tracking could be out on the back , he said that the tyres had worn quite evenly but I've been threw to sets on the back now to the ones i put on the front since its been lowered are these adjustable tie arms going to do any good ? any help please !

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Sounds like the rear is toeing in causing excessive wear.

From my understanding, you need to install the adjustable arms in place of the LOWER existing arms. This way you pull the bottom of the tyre in, rather than pushing the top out, achieving standard camber and toe.

Factory toe just doesnt seem achievable when installing in place of the upper arms and pushing the top of the tyre out.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jay22s3 View Post
    right i bought som adjustable rear tie bars because i lowered mr car with apex springs a while ago went to a garage to get them put on today but the four wheel alignment the had wouldn't fit on my car as its to low can't get the things on the tyres , but he said that maybe the tracking could be out on the back , he said that the tyres had worn quite evenly but I've been threw to sets on the back now to the ones i put on the front since its been lowered are these adjustable tie arms going to do any good ? any help please !
    Go somewhere else for your wheel alignment mate, too low!? Lol. I'm running Apex springs, no issues getting mine done! The sensor things clamp onto the lip of the alloys where I go, so unless the alloy itself is sitting under the wheel arch, it can be done.
    Airs likes this.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

2nd gear sorts em out

Status
    the ones this garage had sat on top of the wheels with metal arms thats why it couldn't be done there

2nd gear sorts em out

Status
    is marshall 878 right about the adjustable tie arms going in place of the lower arms and not the top ones ? thanks

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by jay22s3 View Post
    is marshall 878 right about the adjustable tie arms going in place of the lower arms and not the top ones ? thanks
    I believe you will find it easier to get the required geo you require by replacing them with the lower arms
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Toe and camber can be sorted with a combo of tie bars and adjusting the trailing arms by undoing the bolts securing them to the body and moving them... tie bars on the bottom will pull/push on the trailing arms affecting toe depending on what you are doing

Fitting adjustable tie bars is normally for getting rid of the excessive negative camber you get from lowering springs... fitted to the bottom you will need to pull them in to remove neg camber and this in turn makes the rear toe out so moving the arms inboard at the point they are bolted to the chassis brings toe back in...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

3rd Gear

Status
    With my adjustable tie arms fitted to the top, and set up as well as the trailing arm adjustment would allow on a Hunter machine my toe was still miles out of spec. Knackered a rear pair of Pirelli P Zero in 1500 miles.

Got it aligned a few weeks back with the adjustable tie bars moved to the bottom, lined up perfectly:

Attached Images Attached Images

2nd gear sorts em out

Status
    thanks guys just had the car on the hunter 4 wheel alignment system at a garage in liverpool today and it was miles out it feels miles better now almost like a new car ! just waiting for some polly bushes to come and then get the adjustable arms fitted , it was a bit pricey £65 plus vat to straighten it up but after getting in it was well worth it he said to take it back when i get the arms fitted and he'd just charge me £30 to set the rear up properly , things you have to do when you start messing around with cars wish i had kept it standard now its costing more than a women, but more fun this way as it dosent moan like a woman

1st Gear

Status
    I bought mine with the rear springs on. Toying with the idea of buying the arms but the cost was putting me off and was considering putting the standard springs back on.

Luckily some arms came up cheap....just need to fit them and get the 4wheel alignment done.