1999 1.8T AGU Headlight wiring

cha1n

Reaction score
With the assistance of a mate, i fitted facelift headlights onto my a3 today. I labeled up the new connectors as described, soldered the ends of the wires into hook joints, heatshrink ready, labeled them up for what colours they're going to. Got out to the car.. ah.. my headlight wiring colours are different to what others have! I was told the old wiring colours were the same, well my old wirings colours off the top of my head were something like; grey/black, grey/yellow, blue/yellow, white/black, and i think the last was brown.

Basically i urgently need to know what colour wire does what, i'm screwed for tonight, now i've got to go in the missus car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif but i'd appreciate it if anyone can help. If not i'll have to try buzzing it through in the daylight tomorrow. Cheers

Ross

Easiest way - Remove the plug socket and wiring from old light units, and put new wires/plugs on that, and connect up to new lights...Its what i did and worked well aqnd only took me about 2 hours start to finish.

Rich

I can't do anything until i know what pin numbers on the old connector do what.

I've worked it out anyway for anyone who needs the help in future, here's what **PINS** do what on the pre facelift headlight connector regardless of colour:

Pin 1 - Sidelight (red internally)
Pin 2 - Earth (Brown internally)
Pin 3 - FogLight (Grey internally)
Pin 4 - Mainbeam (White internally)
Pin 5 - Dippedbeam (yellow internally)

Obviously some models have different colour wiring, but i assume pin numbers are universal! Hope this helps someone using the search, sure would of helped me last night! cheers

Ross

Reactions: fanta
Just work it out from seeing which goes to which bulb

Reactions: fanta