Failing heater flap and it's infuriating clicking

Piester

Reaction score
Right, the car is driving me mental, and any help would be massively appreciated!

I've got a constant clicking sound from the heater, regardless of whether the heater is switched on or off.

I've taken the heater motor out and the fan itself is absolutely fine, it seems it's the flap behind that moves when you switch the heater on/off. When it's on, it makes a constant clicking sound as it seems to get stuck, whilst the flap motor keeps trying to move. When I switch it off, the motor moves to the top position but again can't make it all the way and makes an even louder sound as it keeps trying to move.

I can push the flap to either the open or closed position, the motor stops and I have peace and quite, as the flap is in the rest position, but as soon as I switch it on/off again, it gets stuck and the noise continues.

Below is a where it seems to generally get stuck (sorry, the photo is coming up sideways for some reason).

Photo

Any thoughts on a fix? I've doused the sides with WD40 over night, but is there anything else anyone has done to fix a similar problem? Is the motor failing, and if so, how do you go about replacing it? Everything seems pretty hard to get to and I can't see anything blocking it.

Any help would be massively appreciated, before I kick the thing in.

Cheers

I had this very same problem, I pushed the flap down from the engine bay side of the car (to the open position) until it clicked and stayed firmly open. Maybe i broke something i don't know! I've kept it stuck open for a good 4 months now and it hasn't bothered me so i just left it like that!

Not sure if this is linked to the flap, but when i have the fans blowing say on the lowest setting, by the time I've driven a few miles the blowers are blowing at nearly full tilt! The black blocks on the lcd gradually creep up and up as i drive the car and the blowers get stronger. Weird hey!

I had this very same problem, I pushed the flap down from the engine bay side of the car (to the open position) until it clicked and stayed firmly open. Maybe i broke something i don't know! I've kept it stuck open for a good 4 months now and it hasn't bothered me so i just left it like that!

Not sure if this is linked to the flap, but when i have the fans blowing say on the lowest setting, by the time I've driven a few miles the blowers are blowing at nearly full tilt! The black blocks on the lcd gradually creep up and up as i drive the car and the blowers get stronger. Weird hey!

Do you have climate control? Is it on Auto? Do you mean the fans kick in harder once the car comes up to temperature?

If not, it sounds like your radiator/stat is ********?

yeah i have climate control, but i dont mean the fans, the aircon in the car. whenever i have it on manual whatever setting i put it on, the air con blowers will slowly get stronger and stronger until they are at their strongest, you can watch the bars on the lcd screen ticking up, and feel the air blowing on your face! lol. I've tried changing the aircon unit itself and this makes no difference. It probably takes 15 minutes of driving for the blowers to get to max from their lowest setting. Quite annoying, as i constantly have to reduce the blower power as i drive.