real bad mpg

:: blade ::

Reaction score
Ok need some help guys. its doing my head in now and im close to getting rid and getting my celica back out. getting about 66miles to £20 which is shocking. thats around town driving like a granny. should be getting more than that surely. serviced it last week. checked for leaks amd i cant find any. not a clue what to do. cant get it on vag com as theres no one near me to put it on :(

Help as i dont want to get rid :,(

Is it warming up fairly quick, maybe the 'choke' is staying on.
Dave

I was getting around the same before I got mine thoroughly checked out and sorted about 1 and a half years ago.

New MAF, 02 sensor, SAI deleting/removal, replacing one of the split pipes under the manifold and finally a service sorted my V power drinking problem out.

I'm not saying to change all of the above - but those sort of areas are where I'd be checking and taking logs from if and when you can get to a VCDS.

(Have a look on the VCDS members map on here and throw a few PMs out to some people offering some beer tokens and you may be able to get a quick scan and some logs taken at the weekend)

Ive got a small bluetooth scanner thing which i use for torque so should work for that app car doctor app. just donloaded it. theres a guy round the corner from me who has it but hes quite hard to get hold of sent him texts abd pms and heard nothing back so going to have to find some mo ey from somewhere and take it to a garage.

Faction one is the closest but cant get hold of him. he plugged my car in a few months ago

Last edited:
checked for fault codes on torue and car doc and nothing has come up, done a fuel check and bank 1 i think it was and it wasnt steady at idle, it was going from -5 to +8 on the graph, is that right? or should it be steady?

idle seems to be fine, has a slight cough but its hardly noticable and doesnt do it all the time

Jinxy , thats the one I use in my a4 and it works fine , and the wifes 2011 tt and my mates 2001 passat , so yes it works ,

Blade , you should have a short term fuel and long term in torque , mine sites at +- 5 on short and 0 on long term .

Reactions: Jinxy-S3
not a clue, will check on monday dont get to drive it all that often at the mo :( so wil do some more checks monday and see whats what then with it

Jinxy , thats the one I use in my a4 and it works fine , and the wifes 2011 tt and my mates 2001 passat , so yes it works ,

Blade , you should have a short term fuel and long term in torque , mine sites at +- 5 on short and 0 on long term .

Sweet mate cheers

still going bad :(, going to be getting a smoke test done at the end of the month hopefully, but there not cheap :( been quoted £45+vat for it to be done, hopefully it will bring up multipul leaks to warrent the bad mpg, if not im going to be even more confused :(

Watching this closely,
Mine has been terrible lately, new stat improved things but it's still not great and I have no codes coming up on vcsd,
Not really sure what mpg I should be expecting though.

Dont want to upset you but ye i get roughly 32mpg mixed driving. Mapped S3 with tip filter etc.

thats not going to upset me :) 32mpg mixed driving will be fine, mines not mapped yet either, so with it being mapped and stuuf will be fine, mines barely making 22mpg around town driving like a granny

Town driving is never going to be that economical in a 1.8T. Short journeys, cold starts etc etc.
I average about 23 around town, but easily see 35 on the motorway.

when i 1st got the car it was doing near on 100-120 miles to £20 tho, and thats halved in 6months, so surely theres something wrong :( like i said its going into revo at the end of the month for a smoke test and see what happens then :)

nope, not had the battery off, short term was bouncing from -3 up +6, is it supposed to be steady?

What is the average mpg for our s3 at this age . Mine seems to drink fuel faster than I can down a Stella . I only get about 23mpg on short journeys but on the m-way it's a lot lot better . My a4 b5 1.8t does 35mpg on short journeys . Seems like hell of a difference but the a4 is a lot lighter and isn't driving all 4 wheels . The s3 is a heavy little car compared to the a4 .