a3 1.8t Gearbox

S3Steve

Reaction score
My mate has just killed the gearbox in his A31.8t and audi have refused to replace it under warranty due to the mods. We are trying to source a new gearbox at the moment and understand there to be three types. Does anyone know which is fitted or where abouts on the gearbox it is stamped to ensure we get the right one?

what mods does he have that made audi say no to fixing it?
sorry i can't be of help to answering your question.

Dave

You really want to look in the service log book for the car at the data sticker or the sticker around the spare wheel in the boot and look for the engine and gearbox code, the stickers are pretty clear for those two. I'm sure someone that can be more help with regards to which different ones fit will be along soon.

The main difference is the type of gear linkage and how the cables attach to the box.

There is an early and late type. The early cable bolt on and the late type clip on.

Not sure what the third is. Perhaps they mean the six speed with transfer box for the 4WD system, but I don't think you'll mistake that one!

Anyways, boxes should be "02J" type denoted by the first 3 digits of the part number. This can be found on the diff housing about the passenger side drive flange.

The identification number is on the top of the box to the left of shift mech looking from the front of the car.

The first three letters are the code letters. The factory use this to identify what gear ratios and diff ratio is installed.
The next numbers are the day month and year of manufacture.

As long as its an 02J and has the correct linkage you should be fine.