Here we go Again! A3 1.8T AGU [Ongoing Progress Thread]

Pubemammal

Reaction score
So here goes! Decided to sell my Blue A3 1.8T 'Audrey', fancied a change, got a clio 172... hated it, so got another A3 1.8T AGU from ASN member Silky, only this time I spent a bit more money, it is in much better condition than the last one and only has 81k on the clock, just had the cambelt/water pump done last year and has a lot of service history.

Its got Yellow 'Pimp' heated leather interior, which you either love or hate (girlfriend thinks is vile) .. However, I love it.

20140303_121841.jpg

20140303_121913.jpg

20140304_155722.jpg

I've been orderings a few bits for it: Facelift rear lights, new stereo (volume problem), floor mats, Audi rings for the front grill, centre cap, wiper blades, smoked side repeaters, just a general tidy up.

Today I 'De-Mossed' the car as in every little groove around all the windows, doors was green! I also painted the grill surround black, debadged and did a wiper-delete

7xGj14GiKBlebNUAiQuPeSk6TtbAKrwpxIrxjkWDFMM=w466-h621-no

20140304_154620.jpg

20140303_174636.jpg

The only thing really bugging me is the electric windows, they are totally dead. The central locking/electric mirrors all work fine but when I press the window switches, theres not even a click from a relay or anything? I have checked the fuses and they all seem fine.

Next up will be Coilovers, Wheels (BBS CH?) and I may try to do a front facelift headlight conversion :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lavis89
Enjoyed reading your last thread and it looks like you've got a good, clean base with this one.

What coilies you going for on this?

Enjoyed reading your last thread and it looks like you've got a good, clean base with this one.

What coilies you going for on this?

Thanks bud :) Yeah its a lot cleaner than the last one. I'm thinking I might go for AP coilovers or even an H&R spring/shock combo as I want it to be a bit less bone shattering than last time. Still not sure on the wheels aswel... may go with 17's.

Got these today :)

Uploadfromtaptalk1394059645087

Thanks bud :) Yeah its a lot cleaner than the last one. I'm thinking I might go for AP coilovers or even an H&R spring/shock combo as I want it to be a bit less bone shattering than last time. Still not sure on the wheels aswel... may go with 17's

Am I right in thinking you had FK's/ Jamex coilovers on your last A3?

How low do the AP's go on 8L's. I've currently got them on my 8P A3 (which I'll soon be selling for a 8L S3) and although they're pretty comfy and very well made, I just wish they went slightly lower.

Am I right in thinking you had FK's/ Jamex coilovers on your last A3?

How low do the AP's go on 8L's. I've currently got them on my 8P A3 (which I'll soon be selling for a 8L S3) and although they're pretty comfy and very well made, I just wish they went slightly lower.

Yeah I had Jamex on my old A3.. they weren't too bad until I totally slammed it (my own fault) lol. I think AP coilies go pretty low, definitely low enough for me after last time. I think I might just go for a decent 60/40mm spring and shock combo this time. Shouldn't be any need to change the ARB then either. Any lower and you run into all sorts of problems on an A3 such as tyres scrubbing the inner body... add spacers and they scrub in the arch!

I fitted my facelift rear lights earlier.. that's the rear end sorted anyway!

Uploadfromtaptalk1394148890145

Also the DIS Lcd screen comes on and off randomly, the wiper stalk controls don't do anything. . The pixels arent that bad though. Could this just be a loose connection on the back of the cluster?

I did wonder why I hadn't seen your blue one in a while, lol.

Check the switch for the windows. Do both driver and passenger side not work?

I did wonder why I hadn't seen your blue one in a while, lol.

Check the switch for the windows. Do both driver and passenger side not work?

Haha its in Marks tey now! Both front windows are dead. None of the switches work. I have checked all fuses in the end of the dash and all are good. I don't know what it could be.

Surely if it was the motor/regulator there would be some clicking or some sort of noise? Everybody talks about a relay clicking when the switch is pressed but no one knows where it is!

That's what makes me think it could be the switch. If it's dead, you won't get any clicking because it's not sending the signal to the relay. That being said, see if they guy up springwood has the relay out of the one he's breaking and change it over

That's what makes me think it could be the switch. If it's dead, you won't get any clicking because it's not sending the signal to the relay. That being said, see if they guy up springwood has the relay out of the one he's breaking and change it over

Would the switches still light up if they were dead? Would it be likely that the switches in the drivers side and the passenger side have failed?

I would ask matey down springwood but there is no info on the internet as to which relay is for the windows or where it is :/

So I took the door cards off and drivers side window motor was missing! Passengers side was unplugged. . Plugged it in and window winds down about 2cm then stops? Ordered a couple of new motors but not sure if this is the problem. The window clips look ok.

Got some fresh new plates, audi badge for the front and a new centre cap. Its looking very clean now :)

Uploadfromtaptalk1394475213179

Uploadfromtaptalk1394475232897

Uploadfromtaptalk1394475252648

Uploadfromtaptalk1394475285826

Picked up these bargain Jom coilovers earlier from a chap up the road in Manningtree. 3 months old just a bit dusty - £70 (still under 2 year warranty). Was going to go springs/shock combo but this was too cheap to pass up on.

iGOIDJW.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: leeds2592
Cars looking good mate what wheels are they?

Reactions: Pubemammal
Now your's looks exactly like mine! I have the rear Joms fitted at the moment, but had some problems removing a stubborn bolt in the front to fit the coilies. Look forward to see what else you do :)

Now your's looks exactly like mine! I have the rear Joms fitted at the moment, but had some problems removing a stubborn bolt in the front to fit the coilies. Look forward to see what else you do :)

Yeah them clamp bolts can be a PITA. Hopefully I don't have to much trouble with mine. Got some new top mounts from GSF and going to fit my coilies on Monday.

Anybody know why my DIS is randomly doing this? If petrol is low it beeps everytime the screen comes back on!

http://youtu.be/EJ1XYNNjJHc

So I did this today...

20140317_123721.jpg

20140317_155840.jpg

Took absolutley ages, ran into all sorts of problems, such as trying to get this damn thing out

20140317_155925.jpg

Got there in the end... 6 hours later lol!

20140317_210532.jpg

20140317_212204.jpg

Terrible pics I know, but was pretty dark by the time I got finished!

Reactions: JudderMan
Put new concert stereo in... the thing is like brand new and best of all, a working volume control!

These JOM coilovers are so much more comfortable than the Jamex ones I had on the blue A3.. probably something to do with the 16" wheels. But once again I have the ARB issue to sort aghh :(

Looking good! :)

It seems you had the same problem as me with that lower strut bolt - took three separate days to fit the damn things! But I agree with the ride - these are MUCH better than the FK's I had on my old car.

What wheels are you looking to run? and are you gonna fit a TT ARB?

Looking good! :)

It seems you had the same problem as me with that lower strut bolt - took three separate days to fit the damn things! But I agree with the ride - these are MUCH better than the FK's I had on my old car.

What wheels are you looking to run? and are you gonna fit a TT ARB?

Yeah mate.. what a ******* to get that bolt out! The difference between these and the Jamex is unbelievable! So much better. I am now looking at some 18" TT 9 spokes or I might save a bit and get skme land rover mondials! Not to sure at the moment.

Yes yes yes definitely going for the TT ARB my local garage will be fitting that next week as theres no way I'm dropping the subframe on the driveway lol.

What wheels are you running? you got a pic of yours?

LOWER LOWER LOWER!

Haha as soon as I get the ARB fitted then I will lower it for the summer :p

Yeah mate.. what a ******* to get that bolt out! The difference between these and the Jamex is unbelievable! So much better. I am now looking at some 18" TT 9 spokes or I might save a bit and get skme land rover mondials! Not to sure at the moment.

Yes yes yes definitely going for the TT ARB my local garage will be fitting that next week as theres no way I'm dropping the subframe on the driveway lol.

What wheels are you running? you got a pic of yours?

Ah nice, I was bidding on a set of those 9 spokes a few months ago on ebay... Lost it in the end. They look great on the A3 though! My mate had some Mondials on his Mk4 Golf, and they looked the part - but they were heavy. REALLY heavy!

Cool, I'm gonna need to look into the TT arb because I can already hear that I'm knocking it occasionally. And I want to go lower of course! :D

I've got Rota Grids to put on, but am having a bit of a mare trying to fit the fronts. They are touching the shock, so bought 5mm spacers which haven't helped. So have to get 10mm spacers and longer bolts I think. :/

This is mine at the moment :)
cQ0jnnh.jpg

Ah nice, I was bidding on a set of those 9 spokes a few months ago on ebay... Lost it in the end. They look great on the A3 though! My mate had some Mondials on his Mk4 Golf, and they looked the part - but they were heavy. REALLY heavy!

Cool, I'm gonna need to look into the TT arb because I can already hear that I'm knocking it occasionally. And I want to go lower of course! :D

I've got Rota Grids to put on, but am having a bit of a mare trying to fit the fronts. They are touching the shock, so bought 5mm spacers which haven't helped. So have to get 10mm spacers and longer bolts I think. :/

This is mine at the moment :)
cQ0jnnh.jpg

Yeah they do look good. That's the only downside of the mondials... I do like the look of rotiform neu's aswel, theres so much choice! Cool what size are your grids? Stick some spacers on mate... I've got some 20mm spacers if your interested :)

Yours looks really low at the front mate... lower than mine! Are your rota grids 5x100?

I haven't actually seen an A3 on Mondials.. could work though! I almost bought NUE's at one point too haha. My Grids are 5x100 18", 9.5 Rears, 8.5 Fronts. The back sit lovely and don't need a spacer, poke a tad.. but the fronts poke already and will need spacing. Ha thanks for the offer, but I think I will only need 10mm!

Yeah it's quite low in that pic... I raised it about 10mm after that shot as the stock wheels were rubbing. Rears need to come down though!

I haven't actually seen an A3 on Mondials.. could work though! I almost bought NUE's at one point too haha. My Grids are 5x100 18", 9.5 Rears, 8.5 Fronts. The back sit lovely and don't need a spacer, poke a tad.. but the fronts poke already and will need spacing. Ha thanks for the offer, but I think I will only need 10mm!

Yeah it's quite low in that pic... I raised it about 10mm after that shot as the stock wheels were rubbing. Rears need to come down though!

I have only seen an S3 with them tbh! Lol I love Neu's. Them grids are so wide! You got to get them fitted!

Today I discovered why my ABS light had popped on

IMG-20140319-WA0001.jpg

Temp fix did the trick, light went straight out. Will get some heatshrink.

IMG-20140319-WA0003.jpg

The obvious ARB has sex with the driveshaft pic.

20140319_155640.jpg

Also fitted a new drivers side window motor which confirmed that the window clips are fudge, at least the window is fully closed now and not squeeling in my ear like an orgasmic pig when I hit 70mph!

Raised the front end so now the driveshaft has no contact with the ARB. Getting a Leon Cupra R ARB fitted next week.

As it sits:

20140319_165730.jpg

20140319_165800.jpg

20140319_165813.jpg

With the coilovers set at this height, on standard 16" wheels... the handling and ride quality is absolutely brilliant, I can throw it into a corner and it just loves it. Good old JOM.

Spent a total of 3 hours today polishing, sorting stone chips, basically detailed the whole the car... got rid of all the 'drive through car wash' marks, and pretty much all of the other blemishes etc. I used some Quick detailer, Autoglym Super Resin polish, Autoglym paint renovator and Autoglym plastic restore gel.

Used a bit of this after washing it, brilliant stuff.

IMG-20140321-WA0006.jpg

20140321_160917.jpg

IMG-20140321-WA0004.jpg

20140321_170221.jpg

20140321_175201.jpg

Treated myself to some new mats:

20140321_174943.jpg

20140321_175210.jpg

Octavia VRS ARB arrived today. Getting the comps refurbed next week... cant decide on what colour to go for?

Anthracite?
lds4.jpg

Yellow/gold to match interior?
0rna.jpg

Help!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1396741368194.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396741368194.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 628
  • uploadfromtaptalk1396741393360.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1396741393360.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 652
Last edited:
Couldnt decide on the colour so I got rid and got some 3SDM 18" Staggered 0.01. 8.5J front 9.5J rear.

20140419_143140.jpg

Also treated the leather :)

IMG_20140419_084327.jpg

Like the new wheels. Get them done in anthracite and they'll look sweet!

Cheers guys. Got the VRS ARB fitted and lowered the front end.

mffw.jpg

1gjf.jpg

vkoc.jpg

Reactions: superkarl and Nick_sheep